Renault Modus - Horn not working - rustonboy

I just bought this car (2010 model, 1.2 litres, petrol, manual) and found the horn does not work as I was driving home with it (private sale). The MOT is from February, so I guess it was working then. I should have included it in my list of checks! Does anyone have a good place to start looking for the reason? Many thanks.

Renault Modus - Horn not working - Xileno

Good place to start is the fuse.

Sorry - of course - I should have mentioned that I did check that first :-)

Renault Modus - Horn not working - elekie&a/c doctor
You need to access the horn unit to check connector and power supply. Very likely to be hidden behind the bumper somewhere.
Renault Modus - Horn not working - Sprice

The horn stopped working on my 2009 Civic in 2019, it turned out to be the horn relay, which on my car was behind the dash, on some cars this is in the engine bay however.

Renault Modus - Horn not working - bathtub tom

Relay, cor, that's posh, more than Toyota can stretch to on my Yaris.

Thanks for the suggestions. My solution follows for anyone who might have the same problem. The horn is indeed situated behind the front bumper, which is massive and made of plastic. I was worried I might have to remove the whole thing, but luckily I only needed to extract the row of 4 plastic lugs along the top, just under the front of the bonnet. The top of the bumper could then be pulled forward far enough to just about squeeze in and access the horn. I unplugged the connector using long-nosed pliers, and used a test light to discover that current was reaching the connector when the horn on the steering wheel was pressed. So the horn itself was faulty. Huge sigh of relief. Used a 12 mm spanner to undo horn retaining bolt, but first looped some wire around the horn in case it fell down into the void. Again, it was a tight squeeze but I could just wriggle the horn out through the gap at the top of the bumper. Water was dripping from the horn and (when shaken) it sounded full of water - it was! Had nothing to lose so took horn apart (4 screws) and left it to dry in the sun. It looked pretty manky inside, but I put it back together with some grease around the edges to stop future water ingress (optimist). Connected to a 12 volt battery in the shed, the horn worked again. Refitting was a straightforward reverse of the removal process. Hope that helps someone :-)

Renault Modus - Horn not working - Xileno

That's good news, always rewarding when a job turns out well. If you still get water in it then next time silicone sealant might be better than grease.

Good idea - thanks - mental note for next time :-)

Renault Modus - Horn not working - Ergue

Sir, I hope the beer fairy grants you a free beer in the near future.

Recently I had an identical issue with my Modus and your detailed and clear instructions saved the day. I managed to changed effortlessly the car's horn by following them.

My only tip to enhance this solution if anyone else stumbles upon this forum is that Modus horns (serial number 8200146198) are not very common and if you find one will be expensive. However Renault Scenic (serial number 256100004R) are (almost) identical and very common so you can get one of those for around £15.

When I say almost identical, the only difference is the alignment of the cable connector and metal hanger. But this can be easily realigned by unscrewing the 4 screws in the horn's metal plate, rotating it according and screwing it back again.