Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Andre Grandjean

Last week the timing belt on my 2016 Peugeot 308, 1.2 Puretech broke at start up and trashed the engine.

My engine had done only 42K and in March had passed the JZR safely recall check.

Its going to cost me £5400 for a new engine.

Has anyone else experienced this? And Have you had any luck with getting compensation from Peugeot?

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Oli rag
You have my commiserations, that’s bad luck. It is however a known problem with these engines and although I’m not sure what a JZR check is I’d suspect it’s a belt inspection which in this and other cases fails to spot a belt that is in poor condition.

My own experience with timing belts is that it is indeed very difficult to spot one that’s going to snap, as they tend to look okay then suddenly break.

A Peugeot forum would probably be your best bet for guidance on compensation etc.
Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Andre Grandjean

An update........

Peugeot initially refused me any compensation but after I returned a satisfaction survey of 1's and a scathing comment they relented and offered to pay for all genuine Peugeot parts used.

I have paid my garage over £8000 for new parts but 2 weeks after ordering the parts from Peugeot they are still waiting delivery. Apparently there is a major backlog in engine orders and even the main Peugeot dealer in Basingstoke are waiting for 4 new engines!

What a surprise? NOT!! ??

That tells me Peugeot have a MAJOR, MAJOR problem with the 1.2 Puretech engine and are keeping quiet about it.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - elekie&a/c doctor
£8k for engine parts ? You can buy a complete car for that much .
Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Gibbo_Wirral

Agree. One on Autotrader: 66 plate, 40000 miles, £7000

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - brum

But the the belt may snap in the next 2k miles if the OP's 2016 42k example is typical

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Tester

But the the belt may snap in the next 2k miles if the OP's 2016 42k example is typical

If concerned about that possibility, you could always spend an extra few hundred £ on getting a new timing belt at the same time! Or, if the OP genuinely thinks that the 1.2 Puretech might have a systemic problem with snapping belts, get a car with a timing chain instead: the Toyota 1.2T engine comes to mind. (Yes, I know that chains can snap too but the chances seem to be much lower, particularly if you can confirm that it's had a wholesome diet of correct engine oil.)

I have just been reading about this Puretech engine online, and wow are there a lot of unhappy people with broken engines.

There is also a lot of info on supposed improvements to the timing belt to try and stop them shedding their outer cover. The cover apparently sheds small particles into the oil and will then block the oil pick up strainer leading to engine failure.

Replacement is now recommended at 6 years or 62k, whichever sooner, and as mentioned by the Op there is an inspection recall to measure the belt and see whether it’s swollen beyond a certain limit and likely to start shedding.

It sounds as though this is an ongoing problem, with newish engines also affected and is definitely one to avoid unfortunately.
Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Brit_in_Germany

I thought there was a forum member who had convinced himself that it was only the early versions of this engine which had problems.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - John F

I thought there was a forum member who had convinced himself that it was only the early versions of this engine which had problems.

Possibly me. I'm a fan of this engine, and did much homework before we bought a new one in late 2019. The early non-turbo ones were renowned for fouling up with carbon and Peugeot had a hugely expensive problem with rubbish cambelts shedding debris - I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when they met with their supplier. But since 2017 there have been few problems and there are now zillions of these engines in many different models with BIO cambelts of better quality.

Since its first service at only 5000 miles, when I'm not sure they even changed the oil, I have serviced it myself, so I know it has the correct oil. Also, we only do around 5-6,000 miles a year in it now. It's a 130hp version, and when I get to drive it I regularly 'red-line' it which I hope might help with the carbonisation associated with direct injection engines. It's a cracking little engine, especially as it warms up so quickly.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Ste W

How's the car John? I have a 1.2 130 2018 plate eat8, I love it but all you get it people slating the engine because of the wet belt and it ruining the engine!

How's the car John? I have a 1.2 130 2018 plate eat8, I love it but all you get it people slating the engine because of the wet belt and it ruining the engine!

The car is fine, thanks. How come you have the EAT8? I didn't think they were around before 2020. As said, problems solved by 2017, and many of the dissatisfied posts were posted by just one or two people. However, ours is doing fewer than 6k miles a year, so I'm not expecting any problems for a long time. No discernible oil use yet, but I ran it in carefully.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - sammy1

A friend has been quoted £438 to replace a cambelt. It is apparently a kit and does not include an oil change. He has also been advised that the sump may have to come off if the old belt has began to fray and break up. This is not a dealer price

A final update on my car?.........

It took 16 weeks to repair, mainly waiting for parts to arrive from France!

But it is now fixed and Peugeot have refunded me for all parts used as they promised.

To be fair to Peugeot Customer Service, once they had accepted liability they were very helpful and supportive throughout.

At least I should be OK for at least another 30K miles........ hopefully!

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Sophie Wrotniak

Hi, I’ve had the exact same thing happen with my car it’s a 1.2 308 allure it’s currently with the garage who sold me the car. I’ve had issues with oil consumption… I was using 1litre of oil every 500 miles. They wouldn’t admit this isn’t normal inspected the car said nothing was wrong. This carried on for over a year then when the warranty ended this has happened after it was checked for the recall and then again when I took it back about the oil. Just not sure where to go any advice?

[Removed dealer name given subsequent thread now in Legal forum]

Edited by Xileno on 10/05/2022 at 10:34

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Xileno

Can you tell us what age and mileage it is. Also does it have a full Peugeot service history.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Sophie Wrotniak
Full Peugeot service, 2016 and 50,000

Cannot add more other than to say I think you have a very strong case. Your dealer should make your case with Peugeot and keep you informed, If this is not happening complain to the dealer and go straight to Peugeot yourself. Your outline of very poor oil consumption and previous checks on the belt combined with the service history should be sufficient proof if needed that the engine was not fit for purpose, There is a long line of history with this engine which should further help your case. Keep pressing the dealer as I also feel that they should have been more pro-active with your excessive oil consumption.

Thank you, I have and they said they’re going to try build a claim for it. I was in the garage for 3 hours arguing about this. They have just told me the oil consumption is standard on this engine. But from what I’ve seen on Peugeot forums and here they are well aware there’s an issue with this type of engine.

Edited by Xileno on 10/05/2022 at 10:36

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Andrew-T
I’ve had issues with oil consumption… I was using 1litre of oil every 500 miles. They wouldn’t admit this isn’t normal ...

That is disgraceful. You might as well put 2-stroke mixture in the car :-)

""" They have just told me the oil consumption is standard on this engine"""

This is utter rubbish. My son's partner has the 2008 with the same engine and it uses NO oil.

Reading between the lies it appears that the dealer is being very defensive regarding Peugeot which unfortunately is very common in the industry. You would think has you are the customer of the garage they would be bending over backwards. keep the customer in the dark about other customers problems is their mantra. Their engine is a BIG problem to them hence the recall for cambelt checking

You clearly outlined here the saga of your car and the garage should have been making noises to Peugeot about the oil consumption and not waited until the engine destructed itself. You should not have had to argue for 3 hours to wake up the dealer to its responsibilities. In this instance you should deal with the service manager only and I would write to the MD of the dealership outlining what you have had to put up with.

If they have not submitted your claim by mid week I would get in touch with Peugeot customer services direct and do not be afraid to push your dissatisfaction with the garage.

The example on here gives you some idea of what you are up against and can only help your case. Keep pressing very hard and the best of British!

Edited by Xileno on 10/05/2022 at 10:35

This is utter rubbish. My son's partner has the 2008 with the same engine and it uses NO oil.

It is indeed rubbish. However, all engines, even well built ones, use a certain amount of oil. We have had a 2008 from new with this engine and I changed the oil myself at around 10,000 miles. After a further 2,000 miles there has been no discernible change in the level on the dipstick.

During its first 50,000 miles or so, an engine up to around 1.6 litres in size should not be using more than a litre of oil every 10,000 miles.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - galileo

It is indeed rubbish. However, all engines, even well built ones, use a certain amount of oil. We have had a 2008 from new with this engine and I changed the oil myself at around 10,000 miles. After a further 2,000 miles there has been no discernible change in the level on the dipstick.

During its first 50,000 miles or so, an engine up to around 1.6 litres in size should not be using more than a litre of oil every 10,000 miles.

My three 1.6 Corollas and my 1.4 i30 used no significant oil between annual services at averages of 8,000 miles.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - edlithgow

How come

"Its going to cost me £5400 for a new engine."

turned into

"I have paid my garage over £8000 for new parts"?

Expensive new engine mounts?

I suppose if you are "only" paying for labour it makes sense to use as many new parts as you can, but about 50% extra seems a lot.

Edited by edlithgow on 04/05/2022 at 00:59

IF I was unfortunate enough to have this type of engine, I would be running regular paper chromatography checks on the oil. (Look up "blotter spot test").

These show a noticeable debris ring on dirty oil, and MIGHT pick up fine debris derived from the belt, though this would of course have to be confirmed with actual samples.

Not a guarantee, since it wouldn't pick up big particles stuck on the strainer, but where there are big particles there will probably also be a lot of circulating small ones.

In all the discussions about damage caused by pre 2017 bad batches of cambelts fraying, the failure of the oil filter is never mentioned. I would have thought the debris must first drain to the sump before it is pumped round the engine. Surely it must go through the oil filter first? Or does the filter clog up easily and get bypassed?

The bad reports about this engine seem to have dried up long ago (apart from the occasional pre 2017 ones) and I see that hundreds of thousands of them must now be buzzing away satisfactorily in various models throughout the world. I'm very happy with ours, and I personally changed the oil and filter at 10,000 miles. I wonder if garages always do so?

In all the discussions about damage caused by pre 2017 bad batches of cambelts fraying, the failure of the oil filter is never mentioned. I would have thought the debris must first drain to the sump before it is pumped round the engine. Surely it must go through the oil filter first? Or does the filter clog up easily and get bypassed?

The bad reports about this engine seem to have dried up long ago (apart from the occasional pre 2017 ones) and I see that hundreds of thousands of them must now be buzzing away satisfactorily in various models throughout the world. I'm very happy with ours, and I personally changed the oil and filter at 10,000 miles. I wonder if garages always do so?

Debris will pass through (or not, of course) the oil pump intake strainer first, at least on a conventional engine. As I understand it, some of these engine failures were oil starvation due to a clogged oil strainer, some due to valve interference after the belt bust.

I wouldn't have thought the oil filter could much influence either of these scenarios, since belt wear debris will be fairly soft and probably doesn't much contribute to further belt wear (unlike the situation with a chain or the metal belts in a CVT).

If really parenoid (and why not?) one might consider examining the filter contents at changeout for a possible early warning, either by back-flushing or cutting open. An oil pressure gauge might also be an engine saver.

First time I took my present sump off there were chunks of detached varnish and bits of gasket on the strainer, probably only about 30% of the area, but better off than on. Varnish seems to have now cleared on my eccentric oil mixture and 6-year OCI, so something else is likely to kill the car instead.

Edited by edlithgow on 04/05/2022 at 23:37

Hi just an update Peugeot took it, had it for 2 weeks eventually paid for the work to be done and replaced the timing belt which is what the recall was in February 2021. Although the code from break down was p1339 which is camshaft. I’ve had it back for 72 hours and it’s broken down again, engine light and service light both red. I’ve honestly just lost all hope with.
Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Xileno

Thanks for updating us, even if the news is bad. Hopefully it's something simple that the garage can rectify. Something not set up correctly, inadvertently dislodged etc.

No problem, the error codes are
B1837
U1f3e
B1225
B1003
U1f18
And they’ve said there’s nothing they can do. I’ve told them it’s coming to them, they’ve given me the car back signed it off and done their health check on it with all green passes. Il update on what’s next.
Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Pablo el Diablo

After reading this and some other horror stories I decided to get the belt replaced on my 15reg Citroen C4, 55k miles, despite my main dealer reassurance that my schedule still states 10 years and 100000 miles. I called and then emailed local citroen and agreed the price - £595 for a belt and water pump replacement. On the 18 I dropped my car and received a C3 as a courtesy car. Within 30 minutes after I left their place I received a phone call that they can't do it for that price as parts alone will cost them £500, they asked for a figure closer to £800. I refused and they told me, that if I'm not happy I should bring their car back asap.

When I asked their service manager what's with that quote he emailed me, he couldn't answer, but said 'I can have a belt change for that original price so no water pump as it's not even necessary to replace'. I disagreed and was told to look for cheaper places. I went to Peugeot and got a quote of £569, belt and water pump, hepefully they fulfill this time as I recorded the conversation.

Really greedy main dealer that one. I emailed Citroen and lodged a complain as I believe if any thing happens now they should participate as 10 year still stands and I had full service at that dealersip, but knows, they are modern day cowboys.

Edited by Pablo el Diablo on 20/05/2022 at 13:30

Have you tried inspecting it and inspecting the condition of the oil? On my Peugeot 2008 you can assess the belt under the oil fill hole. I think the problem was with a bad batch of belts expanding and fraying/crumblng.

Peugeot have a special tool resembling a spanner with an offset shallow jaw to measure the width of the belt via the oil fill hole. It should not exceed 16mm. You can buy them online, but I made my own out of a spare scrap sheet of copper and a strong pair of old scissors.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Pablo el Diablo

I've had the sump pan removed for inspection 2 weeks ago, wasn't too bad. Vacuum valves cleaned last december. belt looks rough on the outside, it is possible that they were using various belts from the beggining and some are bit better than others. I used Mobil 1 oil this time round, for the first time other than Total.

Citroen main dealer measured the belt last year and claimed it was ok.

Edited by Pablo el Diablo on 21/05/2022 at 07:31

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Lee Power

Starting to see reports of 2019 built Purecrap engines with generation 3 wet timing belts failing now, usually just outside the original 3 year manufacturers warranty.

I would reckon that a lot of Peugeot / Citroen main dealer technicians are just sick of the sight of them.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Frankie Thomas
Yep they sure are I’m an owner of a 2019 Peugeot 208 gt liine 1.2 pure tech engine. Oil pressure fault stop engine now. Took the car to the main dealer mechanic straight away as soon as I started describing the issue said was it oil pressure fault I said yeah. He said car needs a new belt and the car won’t be done in a day. It’s very suspicious to me that the car has failed just out of its 3 year warranty with Peugeot very suspicious. Have extended warranty on the car from the main dealer with full service history from the main dealer. Have spoke to Peugeot customer service who gave me a claim number at that there is a good will gesture for this issue. First and last time are ever buy a Peugeot or any French car.
First and last time are ever buy a Peugeot or any French car.

You have been unlucky, but there's no point in saying that, except to feel better and you might like to throw a brick through their showroom window. :-)

Have been without a car for over ten days the main dealer telling me car needs further investigation. Removal of sump etc with no end date in sight. And these further checks won’t be done till Thursday. Had the main dealer tell me when I rang to tell them the issue his response was what do you expect you have the car 9 months and that all cars break down and that he has not heard of any problems with Peugeot cars. How can he come out with all of that? Unbelievable. The car was 3 years old just this may.

Peugeot customer service have arranged a rental for me and are working with the dealer to resolve the issue. But the main dealer just don’t want to know at all. Even when the Peugeot customer lady rang them she said they didn’t wanna know either.

If I had been made aware of this issue beforehand would never have touched the car. Surely the dealer should have made me aware of this flaw surely?

And when it does get fixed whenever that will be who's to say that this problem won’t come back? I will never trust the car again.

How can I take this matter further anyone know?

Also the dealer said this issue only affects my car and model?

Same here, will never buy anything from the Stellantis group ever again.

I expect you will have ruled out VAG and JLR for other serious shortcomings ? Most people settle into preferred habits in later life of course ... :-)

I expect you will have ruled out VAG and JLR for other serious shortcomings ? Most people settle into preferred habits in later life of course ... :-)

Yeah, I visited the local Toyota dealer & bought a new vehicle from them.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - skidpan

Me and the wife visited our local Toyota dealership and drove a Corolla. Quite liked it but for the simple fact both of us felt we had dislocated our ankles after about 30 minutes of driving.

Bought another Skoda. No issues and we are able to walk.

Me and the wife visited our local Toyota dealership and drove a Corolla. Quite liked it but for the simple fact both of us felt we had dislocated our ankles after about 30 minutes of driving.

Bought another Skoda. No issues and we are able to walk.

I test drove a C-HR, it suited my requirements so ordered a new one - its basically a higher up more comfortable version of the Corolla.

I test drove a C-HR, it suited my requirements so ordered a new one - its basically a higher up more comfortable version of the Corolla.

With a much smaller boot than the Corolla Tourer and very poor visibility out the rear and for those in the back seats. Then add the fact they cost more.

High up cars are no good for people with arthritis. Found that out many years ago with my mother and now the wife suffers there is no point buying a car that makes life difficult.

With a much smaller boot than the Corolla Tourer and very poor visibility out the rear and for those in the back seats. Then add the fact they cost more.

High up cars are no good for people with arthritis. Found that out many years ago with my mother and now the wife suffers there is no point buying a car that makes life difficult.

Boot & rear space isn't a concern for me or missus as both child free by choice, I've found rear visibility is fine using the interior rear view mirror or looking out the rear window, standard reverse camera also helps, also blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert & all round parking sensors.

The higher up seating position of the C-HR plus better standard safety features over the Corolla ( at time of ordering ) where more important to me then the cost.

<< High up cars are no good for people with arthritis. Found that out many years ago with my mother and now the wife suffers there is no point buying a car that makes life difficult. >>

I'm not sure I agree with that. I feel noticeably lower driving my 306 than when in the 207, and SWMBO finds getting in or out easier in the slightly higher car, tho neither of us is particularly arthritic, just octogenarian.

When the first Fiat Punto appeared in the mid-90s one of the selling points was that its higher seating made for easier getting in and out.

<< High up cars are no good for people with arthritis. Found that out many years ago with my mother and now the wife suffers there is no point buying a car that makes life difficult. >>

I'm not sure I agree with that.

Only speaking from personal experience.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Big John

It probably depends how "high up" the car is. My 84 year old mother has bad arthritis of her spine and now finds my Superb difficult to get in due to the low position of the passenger seat although the very large door aperture helps. I improved matters by raising the seat to the highest level although then I had to be careful she didn't hit her head on the door aperture/roof getting in(she's tall!).

She's better getting into my Sister's Ford Galaxy which is higher and taller.

There would be no way she'd be able to get into anything that you have to "climb up" into - eg large 4x4 such as Landrover Defender.

Edited by Big John on 26/09/2022 at 18:38

It’s an ongoing nightmare with no end date in sight. There is so much that can be said but it would require me to write a book if I was to explain.
It’s an ongoing nightmare with no end date in sight. There is so much that can be said but it would require me to write a book if I was to explain.

Type it out in notepad or word first - we will all be interested to read it on here.

It probably depends how "high up" the car is

Mother started having issues after her 2nd hip replacement. They had a Nissan Almera at the time which was the SRi version with sports seats. It was coming up 7 years old so I suggested they have a new more suitable car. After taking them to see a few they chose a Honda Jazz, I had no arguments with that and having had 2 Hondas in the 80's it was expected to be as reliable, it was. But after just over 4 years mother was finding the seat base very difficult to get out of, it sloped back which was probably the cause. We had a K12 Micra at the time and with its flat seat bases that did not slope, she got in and out easily, but when I suggested they get a Micra there was no way they were selling the Jazz. We also had a C-Max, again flat seat bases with no slope but it was simply too high for her (no adjustment on passenger seat). Over the next few months I took them to see various cars and the Fusion was top of the list. Fine for getting in and out, OK for the garage but we simply could not get a deal. We wanted one with current safety kit but on the Fusion it was mostly options and that resulted in a factory order with little discount, you could get a C-Max with all the kit for £1000's less.

Took them to see the Nissan E11 Note, flat seat bases but in its transformation from the Micra the seats had not been moved outwards making the distance from the door cill to the seat too far for mother to safely cross. Whilst we were there I got them to try a better spec Micra which as expected was 100% perfect so they had one (not from there).

When dad stopped driving we kept the car for a few years simply because it was perfect for the job but when it got to 8 years old we decided to change it (by the time the wife was doing more regular trips up the motorway to her mothers and wanted a car that felt "safer" in the HGV's. With mother in mind we looked at many and all failed. The Fabia came close but the 1.2 TSI 90 was rubbish, not a patch on the 1.2 80 PS Micra. Went to see the Note (now the E12) and bingo, perfect, great deal, all happy. When we had owned the car 3 years things had changed, my mother had died but the wifes mothers osteoporosis had worsened and she was finding even the Note too high. So its search again and back to the Fabia (by this time its the 1.0 TSi 110 we looked at), with its height adjustable passenger seat she could get in and out easily and raise the seat when she's in so she could actually see out (only 4' 7" tall).

Neither mothers are with us now but ease of access is something we will always consider, barmy buying a car that's painful to use, its why we did not buy the Corolla.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - daniel ashton

HI

Long shot did you get anywere with peugeot regarding a claim ?

we have 1.2 allure auto, brought from dealer in 2019 second hand with 20k on the clock

now have the same issue with cam belt gone with only 36k on the clock and now facing 760 quid bill

br

HI

Long shot did you get anywere with peugeot regarding a claim ?

we have 1.2 allure auto, brought from dealer in 2019 second hand with 20k on the clock

now have the same issue with cam belt gone with only 36k on the clock and now facing 760 quid bill

Pre-2017 1.2 puretech engines are renowned for this - there's lots of information out there - just search '1.2 puretech problems'. You should have had the belt checked at service, both visually and with a special width measuring tool. Have you had it serviced and properly inspected since you bought it?

I doubt if the OP will see this old thread again and reply. Perhaps in view of its age and drift from the original topic it should be closed?

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Brit_in_Germany

From the posts above, that sounds like the cost of a belt replacement so unlikely that it be refunded. Normal wear and tear maintenance.

From the posts above, that sounds like the cost of a belt replacement so unlikely that it be refunded. Normal wear and tear maintenance.

But that's definitely not 'normal wear and tear maintenance'. It is completely unacceptable for a belt to crumble or fail at such a low mileage.

A modern well manufactured aramid composite cambelt should last the life of the car. Ours did (Mk1 Focus, 21yrs and 160,000+ miles, VW Passat 2.0GL, 11yrs, 240,000 miles when we sold it). Mechanics will tell you that when they change such a belt at, say, a precautionary 100,000 miles, they often still look as good as new.

Peugeot's suppliers failed them by supplying poor quality belts which were not up to scratch. No one seems to know who they were, where they came from, or if anyone has been held responsible, and who has had to foot the bill for the large number of repairs/replacements.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - elekie&a/c doctor
Looks like they are made of a rubber compound. www.continental-aftermarket.com/en-en/magazine/tec...e

Sounds like the CT1188 was not fit for purpose.

"Even the smallest impurities like soot particles in the oil and crystalline compounds can cause parts of a BIO to become detached – and these can then clog the oil channels in the engine block, for instance, resulting in damage to the engine."

IIRC Dayco may have been the OE supplier for the Purecrap timing belts.

AFAIK generation 4 belts where being supplied by Peugeot / Citroen / Vauxhall main dealer parts counters last year - no idea if the gen 4 belt is still the current version.

FWIW - My mechanic mate replaced a wet timing belt on a 2017 built 2008 that had fell apart & blocked the oil pick up, vehicle had covered 32k miles from new.

Looks like they are made of a rubber compound. .......

Interesting article. It seems these BsIO will only tolerate the right type of oil. I wonder if some failures were caused by a general practioner mechanic (or even a rogue 'specialist' Peugeot dealer) using any old cheap 0-30 oil out of the stock barrel instead of the recommended expensive PSA B71 2312 at the services between leaving the factory and belt failure. We shall never know - as few will admit to it. That's one of the reasons why I buy and change my own oil.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - joe9109

A lot of manufacturers have secmverely shortened cam belt changes over the years for various reasons, unfortunately the Peugeot Citroen Vauxhall group have aparticularily expensive job due to its design £500 plus and the sump should be removed to remove debris from the oil pick up amongst other places.

It's worth noting the Ford Ecoboom has a similar reputation. My so unfortunately decided the 308 was the car for him with this engine and all relevant recalls were done prior to purchase upon close examination of the letters service records etc it transpired the belt should be changed at 64k not the 112k in the original schedule so we got it changed at a specialist and the belt was severely cracked fortunately we got away with it. There is a little stick tool you can use to check the belt width as a tell that the belt has been affected and has swelled making it wider.

What mileage the belts width would expand at I don't know but issues like this destroy confidence in the used market with traders and public affecting residuals, PSA should have stood by their product and paid for all changes outside the original schedule as that for me was the contract at the time of purchase.

They should have changed to a chain cam as soon as possible to restore confidence on their product as I personally have no confidence in their brands as if they cannot recognise what a bad idea an in oil cam belt is what else have they badly designed?

Bought a swift with chain cam and Honda Jazz chain cam myself.

..... as I personally have no confidence in their brands as if they cannot recognise what a bad idea an in oil cam belt is what else have they badly designed?

It's not the design, it's poor quality of the belt, the oil, and too long oil change intervals that caused many failures. Here's an interesting link to some info from the reputable Millers Oils outfit which has appeared since my last post.......

www.millersoils.co.uk/reducing-damage-to-wet-belt-.../

It's a puzzle why it took so long for the belt makers to improve their product.....

www.continental-aftermarket.com/en-en/magazine/tec...e

I have every confidence in MrsF's 2019 Peugeot 2008 but I have made a 1.6mm wide inspection tool just to check the belt width every 10,000 miles or so! I also change the oil myself after no more than 10,000 miles ensuring the right spec oil, not a multipurpose bog standard 0-30 out of a cheapo garage barrel.

I see from the Miller oil link you posted John, that they recommend halving the specified oil change interval. Was your wife’s Peugeot originally on 20k service intervals?

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - gordonbennet

Thanks for posting that link JohnF, a good source of general info and advice there.

Those inspection hour guidelines would mean very regular checks for taxis and vans saddled with cambelt in oil, i still don't get the point of this design and won't be having a vehicle saddled with one myself.

....Was your wife’s Peugeot originally on 20k service intervals?

Its 'service schedule' is probably the most user-unfriendly unhelpful and somewhat puzzling side of A4 I have seen for a long time.

'Systematic operations' Normal - every 16,000 miles/1yr Arduous - 10,000m/1yr.

That's all under this heading, it doesn't say what they are.

Then there is a list of 'Additional operations'

Replacement of brake fluid - every 2yrs; (ha!) replacement of air filter - 32,000m/4yrs; (ha-ha!) replacement spark plugs - 32,000m/4yrs; (our old higher revving Focus went 50k between replacement, Ford recommended 40k); replacement of timing belt (ha-ha-ha!) and ancillary drive belt 64,000m/6yrs then every 128,000m/12yrs; (presumably they are worried one of their original grotty ones was fitted). But then it says......replacement of timing kit (presumably tension pulley?) Normal - 128,000m/12yrs, arduous 140,000m! I did tell the dealer this must be a typo! Also, having replaced the belt at 64k, do you open it up again at 128k and just change the pulley?!

Replacement of coolant - 112,000 miles/10yrs - normal, 110,000 miles/10yrs - arduous ! Replacement of passenger compartment filter - every 16000m/2yrs - normal, 10,000m/2yrs - arduous. This last absurdity (our Focus went to its grave with its original) means our just over 4yrs old car with a mere 20k should be on its third pollen filter!

Edited by John F on 15/01/2024 at 17:37

Replacement of passenger compartment filter - every 16000m/2yrs - normal, 10,000m/2yrs - arduous. This last absurdity (our Focus went to its grave with its original) means our just over 4yrs old car with a mere 20k should be on its third pollen filter!

It is silly to make an issue of a pollen filter change, John, as choosing not to change one can present no threat to the future of the car, only the occupants. However I'm sure you will have extracted it and cleaned it out regularly, to save the cost of replacement ? :-)

It is silly to make an issue of a pollen filter change, John,

The silliness of frequent change advice is Peugeot's, not mine.

However I'm sure you will have extracted it and cleaned it out regularly, to save the cost of replacement ? :-)

Just the once, IIRC, during its 21yr life - unless it was replaced before we bought it at 4yrs old.

<< I have made a 1.6mm wide inspection tool just to check the belt width ... >>

1.6 mm ? Really - that's tiny, John ! Or is that to get through a narrow inspection hole ?

<< I have made a 1.6mm wide inspection tool just to check the belt width ... >>

1.6 mm ? Really - that's tiny, John ! Or is that to get through a narrow inspection hole ?

Oops......... no wonder these narrow belts fail;-)

The 'new' Conti belt seems to date from 2020. Are you tempted to change the one on the 2019 car?

The 'new' Conti belt seems to date from 2020. Are you tempted to change the one on the 2019 car?

Certainly not! I'll just inspect it regularly, buy the right oil and decent filter, and change them myself every 10k miles. Incidentally, there is another heading on the unhelpful 'service schedule'....'Authorised engine oils'. 00W20 B71 2010 (C5) - 00W30 B71 2312 C1C2) - EM:00W30 B71 2312 That's it. No advice which viscosity to choose.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - bathtub tom

Incidentally, there is another heading on the unhelpful 'service schedule'....'Authorised engine oils'. 00W20 B71 2010 (C5) - 00W30 B71 2312 C1C2) - EM:00W30 B71 2312 That's it. No advice which viscosity to choose.

I can clearly see there's a couple of 0W-30s and a 0W-20.

<< I can clearly see there's a couple of 0W-30s and a 0W-20. >>

Beat me to it, BT .... :-)

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - bobbier

A lot of manufacturers have secmverely shortened cam belt changes over the years for various reasons, unfortunately the Peugeot Citroen Vauxhall group have aparticularily expensive job due to its design £500 plus and the sump should be removed to remove debris from the oil pick up amongst other places.

It's worth noting the Ford Ecoboom has a similar reputation. My so unfortunately decided the 308 was the car for him with this engine and all relevant recalls were done prior to purchase upon close examination of the letters service records etc it transpired the belt should be changed at 64k not the 112k in the original schedule so we got it changed at a specialist and the belt was severely cracked fortunately we got away with it. There is a little stick tool you can use to check the belt width as a tell that the belt has been affected and has swelled making it wider.

What mileage the belts width would expand at I don't know but issues like this destroy confidence in the used market with traders and public affecting residuals, PSA should have stood by their product and paid for all changes outside the original schedule as that for me was the contract at the time of purchase.

They should have changed to a chain cam as soon as possible to restore confidence on their product as I personally have no confidence in their brands as if they cannot recognise what a bad idea an in oil cam belt is what else have they badly designed?

Thanks for the info!

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Richard Truscott

Sadly I have only just become aware of this debacle, having previously highly rated Peugeot.. My son's 45k 2018 example has just broken its cambelt. Local Swansea Peugeot dealer would not accept recovery as too busy. Phoned for advice to find that despite having a full service history with stamps in the book, because it is not a full Peugeot history showing exactly what oil was put in, they will not entertain doing the work. Even those successfully passing the ridiculously stringent test Peugeot are applying will have to wait until the end of March before they even look at the car. All seems to be a ploy to make it impossible for people to get recourse for what is obviously a design fault, given the hundreds on here and elsewhere.

I am surprised one of the motoring organizations have not taken this up, given the numbers involved.

Like many, we are going to have to pay local garage. Whether this is £600 or £700 for the belt kit or £5000 plus for recon lump remains to be seen.

One thing is for certain, we will never go near a Peugeot again, equally never go near any of the vehicle types covered by the Swansea dealership in question.

Edited by Richard Truscott on 08/02/2024 at 14:49

2018 example has just broken its cambelt. Local Swansea Peugeot dealer would not accept recovery as too busy. Phoned for advice to find that despite having a full service history with stamps in the book, because it is not a full Peugeot history showing exactly what oil was put in, they will not entertain doing the work.

If you are expecting them to do the work FOC I doubt if they would do that on a 6 year old car even if it had a full Peugeot history. Since Peugeot had no control over what materials and lubricants were used they have no liability at all.

I presume when you replace the car you will use the main dealer for work in future or will you continue to save pennies to potentially end up paying £1000's.

....., because it is not a full Peugeot history showing exactly what oil was put in, they will not entertain doing the work.

That's fair enough. The right oil and a good quality oil filter is crucial for BIO engines. A jug of bog standard 0-30 from the garage's cheapo oil barrel just won't do. There is also a service requirement to inspect and measure the width of the cambelt through the filler cap.

what is obviously a design fault,

It's not a design fault. This award winning engine is a superb design and literally millions of them are now in existence all over the globe. Peugeot's excellent engineering reputation has been trashed by its belt suppliers who must have cost them a fortune in lost sales by supplying them with belts that were not up to the job. I'm surprised they aren't being sued.

what is obviously a design fault,

It's not a design fault. This award winning engine is a superb design and literally millions of them are now in existence all over the globe.

I think you could call it a 'design fault' in the sense that the designers should have foreseen the very easy ways that corner-cutters (professional or amateur) could make the engine fail expensively. PSA may have seen it as a way to tie customers to their servicing schedule, but that is wishful thinking when serious money is involved.

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Chris M

"Peugeot's excellent engineering reputation has been trashed by its belt suppliers..."

But Peugeot would have specified the belt and carried out testing. Clearly Peugeot didn't get either part of that right. If they had, they would have identified the issue and solved it before production commenced. They let their customers do the testing:(

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - Gibbo_Wirral

Peugeot's excellent engineering reputation has been trashed by its belt suppliers who must have cost them a fortune in lost sales by supplying them with belts that were not up to the job. I'm surprised they aren't being sued.

Not to mention

Their poorly designed DPF system (putting a soft pouch of additive in the rear wheel arch with inadequate protection!)

Their terrible EGR valve system which gums up, their flawed ADBLUE tank system (leaving people with bills of thousands just weeks after the warranty ends),

Their lousy advice that their DV6TED diesel engine could survive on 20,000 mile oil intervals, and the inevitable oil starvation at the turbo due to being blocked by bad oil

Their awful DMF clutch

The inadequate wiring loom to the rear lights, causing the earth to burn out,

The water ingress straight into the fusebox and BSI of the 207 and so on and so on.

I'm a huge Peugeot fan, owning lots of 205s, 206s, 307s and a 407 and 308 over my 35 year driving history, but I wouldn't touch a modern Peugeot with a bargepole.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 13/02/2024 at 12:49

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - galileo

I think it is fair to rate Gibbo as the expert on Peugeots, I would take his opinions as the best guidance on them.

I should say that I had two 309s, two 504 7-seater family estates and they all gave good service, all bought used at a few years old.

Edited by galileo on 13/02/2024 at 15:21

<< Their lousy advice that their DV6TED diesel engine could survive on 20,000 mile oil intervals, and the inevitable oil starvation at the turbo due to being blocked by bad oil ; the inadequate wiring loom to the rear lights, causing the earth to burn out ; the water ingress straight into the fusebox and BSI of the 207 and so on and so on.

I'm a huge Peugeot fan, owning lots of 205s, 206s, 307s and a 407 and 308 over my 35 year driving history, but I wouldn't touch a modern Peugeot with a bargepole. >>

Agree about the oil intervals. My 207SW has spent all its life outdoors, but has not yet (16 years) suffered any problems with water reaching the fusebox or corroding rear light connections. It has had water under the carpets after someone messed with the grommet at the top of the tailgate - but not a factory fault. No problem yet with a DMF either (90K miles).

'Modern' Peugeots and bargepoles - I haven't sworn an oath never to touch one, but haven't been tempted or obliged to yet. :-)

Peugeot 308 SW - Peugeot 308 1.2 Puretech. Timing belt broken. - gordonbennet

This long life oil change lark isn't and wasn't just an issue with Peugeots, it applies to many makes now as some makers have to follow trends for some reason.

As for timing belts inside the engine, difficult to think of a more ridiculous design (aprt from maybe timing chains at the rear of a north south engine) and there's not a cat in hells chance of us entertaining a vehicle so equipped, again a trend with one maker following another though i was as surprised as anyone when Honda with its history of bomp proof VTEC engines and the reputation they gained decided to follow suit.

This long life oil change lark isn't and wasn't just an issue with Peugeots, it applies to many makes now as some makers have to follow trends for some reason..

I thought an important reason was the importance of fleet buyers to the makers, and the desire of the fleets to incur no maintenance costs while owning the cars ? Simples really ....