Focus Mk2 rusty front wings - Xileno

I've noticed some Focus MK2's are looking a bit rusty on the front wings. It's the section where the sweeping extrusion shape of the metal meets the bumper. Mine (2006) is spotless but a friend has a 2008 model (just before the MK2.5 came out) and hers is bad on one side to the extent the metal has almost holed. I've seen others as bad or worse. I began to investigate why this should be.

I had a good look at mine and shining a torch down beside the headlight could see some very light rust just beginning on the inside of both wings so decided to act quickly. before it gets worse. Some detective work with a watering can revealed the problem. What is happening is rain flows down the windscreen, then down the wing rain channels (the bits you see when the bonnet is up), then towards the front of the wing and drips down and collects, trapped in the wing. The shape of the metal at that point does not allow the rain to drain away so it sits.

I removed the headlight (very easy) and sanded the light rust and put two coats of Kurust on. I then put two coats of Waxoyl on - the nice thick black version. Hopefully that will keep it at bay.

So if you have a MK2 Focus I suggest doing the same before the rust breaks through. I assume the Mk2.5 is similarly affected. Hopefully of use to someone else

Focus Mk2 rusty front wings - Big John

A work colleague had a 2010 Focus badly fail its MOT about 4 years ago - front wings holed where they meet the front sills

Focus Mk2 rusty front wings - paul 1963

Good old fashioned car maintenance!...Well done Mr X

Focus Mk2 rusty front wings - John F

A spotless 16yr old Focus would indeed be something to behold. Low mileage and garaged, perchance? I was attending to rust on the sills and bottom of the doors (family of door-slammers!) of our Mk1 workhorse well before 15yrs old.

Focus Mk2 rusty front wings - elekie&a/c doctor
Bit disappointed that my 20 year old mk1 focus is going to need some welding on the rear sill panel to get it through the next mot . I’m going to keep it going for as long as possible. It still drives like a dream and the Aircon is freezing cold , unlike some of the newer cars I’ve been in recently.

Mine is on 83000 and mostly garaged. Not at the moment as the motorbike is in bits so there's no room.

Rust at the bottom of the front wings by the sill is quite common. Fortunately not on mine since when I bought it (one year old) I fitted the Ford genuine mudguards. Also I regularly hose out any wheelarch lips and around the sills and maybe once a year brush a bit of Waxoyl around.

My friend's 2008 Focus is in a poor state, where the rear arches meet the sill it's bad. I could pick bits off with my fingers, probably will need some welding for the next MOT. Her car spent it's first ten years in Aberdeen, probably the harsh winters and plenty of salt has caused it.

I think Ford put most of the budget into the oily bits and skimped on the bodywork. When I took the headlight out on mine, the paint on the inside of the wing looked a bit thin. They've not used a drop more than they felt they could get away with. No doubt all manufacturers do this on the bits we can't see. Maybe best we don't know!

Focus Mk2 rusty front wings - paul 1963

I pulled up next to mk1 yesterday being driven by a elderly gentleman, the thing was immaculate, obviously well cared for, made me smile.

Also I regularly hose out any wheelarch lips and around the sills and maybe once a year brush a bit of Waxoyl around.

I do a similar thing with my fleet (Skoda Superb & Fiat Panda) but now use Owatrol oil instead of Waxoyl and also now check behind wheel arch liners after discovering quite a buildup of crud with the Superb (awful design fail!). I also check any body drain points.

Beware behind wheel arches on some cars (esp VW & Audi) where they install foam bits for extra sound proofing - they become soggy and eventually the front wings can rust badly. Passats and Golfs of a certain age seem particularly susceptible . If you find this it's best to remove the foam material and clean/rustproof. Fortunately my Superb didn't have this "feature" - possibly because it's a poverty spec petrol version but a friend with a Golf (same running gear) had the foam bits and it wasn't pretty.

Edited by Big John on 13/08/2022 at 10:19

Ford - Photos - Xileno

A few photos as I went along, a bit boring maybe but anyway...

www.dropbox.com/s/0bi1yv2rdp0uakl/2022-08-13%2013....0

With the headlights out, there's sufficient room to reach where a bit of rust is starting, treat it and apply some Waxoyl. I've used Dinitrol before but I had the Waxoyl in the garage. The headlights just unclip, a really good design as it makes changing the bulbs very easy. I didn't even have to unplug the power cables, there'e enough length to place the headlight out of the way on top of the air filter

www.dropbox.com/s/87v0rqgqz9fcvqb/2022-08-13%2013....0

This seems a place where Mk2s are rusting, my friend's is bad in this area. At least once a year I pull that liner back sufficiently to hose any dirt out that might have got behind and put some Waxoyl in and around. The liner is a sort of flexible matting so is easy to bend.

www.dropbox.com/s/274ddfkzfgxlq56/2022-08-13%2013....0

When it was newer I had both the front liners out and checked behind, there was no dirt behind but I got a good covering of Waxoyl in there anyway. With the front mudguards, some dirt can sit behind the plastic and the metal so that gets blasted out with the hose and some Waxoyl put there about once a year.

I've often thought about changing my car just because I fancy a change after 14 years but I do very few miles now (work at home permanently) and it has not given any mechanical problems at all (this one has the 1.6 Yamaha engine). The only annoying problem has been the odd water leak into the boot but I've resolved both those now with some gutter sealant under the screws that hold the lights in. And the boot light sometimes doesn't work - the internet suggests the switch is duff but it's part of the lock. I will put it on the To Do list. There are no scratches or dents, just a few stone chips on the front that you can't avoid but I've touched them in best I can.

Might do a bit longer...

www.dropbox.com/s/9psvuwoqb44074p/2022-08-13%2018....0

Edited by Xileno on 17/08/2022 at 20:43

Ford - Photos - elekie&a/c doctor
Would that be tonic blue ?
Ford - Photos - Xileno

Yes, quite a popular colour for Fiestas as well back then.

One of my sons has a mk1 focus ghia in this colour . It’s a 2004 model with no rust whatsoever anywhere.
Ford - Photos - Big John
One of my sons has a mk1 focus ghia in this colour . It’s a 2004 model with no rust whatsoever anywhere.

I sometimes wonder if one of the factors re rust is the luck of the draw re steel quality at manufacture. I've know very similar cars over the years that have fared very differently re rust. Clearly how you look after a car matters but some seem much more susceptible than others.

Ford - Photos - Andrew-T

<< I sometimes wonder if one of the factors re rust is the luck of the draw re steel quality at manufacture. I've know very similar cars over the years that have fared very differently re rust. >>

You probably remember the time - I think it was the 1980s - when some Japanese makes used notoriously bad steel for rusting ?

Ford - Photos - galileo

<< I sometimes wonder if one of the factors re rust is the luck of the draw re steel quality at manufacture. I've know very similar cars over the years that have fared very differently re rust. >>

You probably remember the time - I think it was the 1980s - when some Japanese makes used notoriously bad steel for rusting ?

Alfasud's were notorious for rusting, it was believed the steel was badly recycled scrap and salt air from the coast.

The plant was near Naples, due to the same kind of pork-barrel politics that located the initial Imp factory near Glasgow. (i.e. unemployment is high there, so we'll encourage makers to give them a car plant, even though there isn't any background of car making skills or component supply.)

Ford - Photos - edlithgow

Alfasud's were notorious for rusting, it was believed the steel was badly recycled scrap and salt air from the coast.

I thought it was because they were Italian.

There was a story that the Sovs paid Fiat for the Lada with dodgy steel which then compromised all their products, but they didn't seem to have too much difficulty rusting before that.

"Best estimates show that quantities of copper arising from conventional scrap preparation can be managed in the global steel system until 2050 assuming perfectly coordinated trade and extensive dilution, but this strategy will become increasingly impractical."

pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.7b00997

The 2050 estimate assumes no action to limit blast furnace production, though, and this might be required due to GHG concerns, in which case the copper cutoff will be reached sooner.

I dunno if copper contamination s a big issue with cars though. Though copper does vary in the scrap stream, and one might expect it to lead to electrochemical corrosion, the main industrial concern seems to be cracking when rolled.

This perhaps makes it unsuitable for pressed-steel components, which cars mostly are. The same paper claims scrap makes up only about 10% of steel used in cars, though of course that'll be an average

Edited by edlithgow on 24/08/2022 at 02:08

Ford - Photos - Big John

Indeed - I had a 76 Datsun 100A back in the early 80's - perfect in 83 then suddenly broke out in rust measles and didn't last long despite my best efforts. Shame as it was mechanically amazing compared to alternatives at the time - eg Viva, Allegro etc. It would easily achieve 50mpg on a run - many modern small petrol cars struggle to do that even today.

My point was though that the quality of steel seems to vary. Mrs BJ had a 1984 Polo from new and the body was still great after 19 years of ownership. Only parted company with it after it dawned on us how rubbish crash protection was after a slow speed parking incident - but that's another story.

My sister had a 1990 Polo and it was terrible re rust despite what looked like loads of rustproofing. It suddenly started falling apart - A pillar holed, top of doors, front/rear valance, rear hatch, rear wings especially around fuel filler. The earlier 1984 outlived it by some margin, shame as the 1990 car was mechanically superior.

Likewise my 2001 mk 1 Octavia under family ownership for 19 years (a theme?) remained amazing re rust but I saw many later examples with bad sill / rear wheel arch rust etc.

Edited by Big John on 20/08/2022 at 23:02

Ford - Photos - Crickleymal

My father had an E reg VW beetle 1500cc. It never suffered from rust until he sold it in 1974. I saw it a few years later and it looked awful.

Ford - Photos - Xileno

I had an old Polo MK2 that did that. I think it's because the rust is eating its way inside out, so by the time you see it the damage is done. Certainly my old Polo went from immaculate to quite shabby in a couple of years, along the wheel arches and sills especially.

Ford - Photos - John F

An excellent example of the financial wisdom of a low mileage driver keeping a well made carefully maintained car indefinitely. Just the car for a bargain hunter.

I think Ford must have used their bland-o-meter when the mk2 was introduced. The original series Focus was a very stylish design with some great lines . The interior is certainly much better.
Ford - Photos - Xileno

Just passed its MOT today. Only advisories are those reported for the last ten years and never seems to progress to failure:

• Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement inner rear (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement inner rear (5.3.4 (a) (i))

I guess £200 to £300 when the times comes? Might do another ten years though...

Ford - Photos - John F

Just passed its MOT today. Only advisories are those reported for the last ten years and never seems to progress to failure:

• Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement inner rear (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement inner rear (5.3.4 (a) (i))

I guess £200 to £300 when the times comes? Might do another ten years though...

Good news! But it's mileage rather than years which wear out bushes, unless the metal bits corrode. Our Mk1 Focus estate workhorse did almost double your current mileage with no bush or spring replacement. However, at around 19yrs old, one of the long (about 5" IIRC) thin bolts linking the anti-roll bar to the rear suspension rusted through; might be worth a crawl underneath and the application of some old engine oil here.

Ford - Photos - Xileno

Thanks for that advice John, a job for the Spring I think. I usually have a good look underneath once a year and brush a bit of Waxoyl or Dinitrol around.

Focus Mk2 rusty front wings - Gimble

All very true, I have owned my 07 focus from new, I just have to add that the bottoms on the a pillars will be your next problem, the jury is still out on if the foam inserts there are at fault, I removed mines a few years back by removing the latch liners and waxoyling all behind where the liners are, what you said about the drip rails on top of the wings may well contribute a little to the rust at front of the arches but the REAL issue that causes it is the gaps there in the arch liners, go run your hand under there and you'll feel big gaps that the front wheels throw water straight up into, mines hax been waxoyled in these areas since it was 10 yrs old ( I didn't want any reason to void my 10 yr anti perforation warranty) also now watch out for the sills beside the rear arches, they will be next to go ( again my sills have been full of wayoyl since 10 yrs old) hope that helps further, cheers G

Sorry only just seen this. Likewise I've had those foam pads out in the past, cleaned behind and sprayed Waxoyl in there. The foam is in a sort of bag, I think what can happen is the bag can be easily torn at the factory when installing, the foam then is not waterproof and hold water. Mine were both fine but while out from the car I painted some rubber roof compound on them.

I don't think the holes in the arch liners ahead of the wheels are the real culprit. However just to be safe I cut a piece of plastic from an old milk bottle to cover the gap, fixed it with a quality silicone and two self tappers and then painted it black. It's only visible if you get down on your knees and is only about 10cm x 4cm.

It's the drain channel causing the rust. The problem is by the time you see the rust on the paintwork it's too late as it's eating inside out. Get those headlamps out! Dead easy on this model, none of this nonsense of needing to take half the car apart.

Another year, another clean MOT and service. How the years click on by.

Usual advisories about suspension bushes but I've had that for at least five years and it never progresses to a fail.

I did my usual trick of brimming the screenwash so they can't add any of their own brand. I am convinced mixing brands can lead to sludge. Only ASDA's best in this Focus.

There was a 06 Focus waiting in the MOT queue, so six months older than mine. Can't see it passing, rotten as a pear. Holes in the front wings which is where this thread started.

Focus Mk2 rusty front wings - Andrew-T

I am convinced mixing brands can lead to sludge. Only ASDA's best in this Focus..

i guess that is possible, but if by 'sludge' you mean whitish goo which leaves smears on the screen, I think that is because bugs take root in the reservoir and digest the methanol or other anti-freeze component. Takes a year or two, but the only answer is to drain as much of the system as possible and refill.

Focus Mk2 rusty front wings - skidpan

I did my usual trick of brimming the screenwash so they can't add any of their own brand. I am convinced mixing brands can lead to sludge

When we had the C-Max it had a service and passed the MOT but the following day the screen washers failed. Went to dealer and he immediately said that the filter at the bottom of the reservoir would be and it would be about £150 to clean it out. Declined their kind offer and despite it being December and freezing decided to give it a go.

Took a while to remove the wheel arch liner (wash reservoir is behind it) and surprise surprise, when I pulled out the pump the filter was full of gunk. gave it all a good clean out and never had another problem.

I was convinced they had added a mystery substance to block the filter and get them some work.

Had to do that twice when the car was newer but fortunately in warmer weather. On the second time I was tempted to remove the filter by cutting a whole in the rubber grommet that holds the pump in. My theory was if it was still going to block it would be at the jets which are easier to get to. In the end I didn't and just hosed it all out thoroughly.

The sludge was clearly blue not white, I read somewhere a suggestion not to mix brands of screenwash - it may even have been on this forum. I had ASDA brand in at the time so stuck with that all year at 100% strength. Never had a blockage since. It must be ten years as I was at my previous house where I had a double garage, one working car on one side and usually a wreck of some kind on the other...

The sludge was clearly blue not white, I read somewhere a suggestion not to mix brands of screenwash - it may even have been on this forum.

Yes, I had a nightmare after topping up screen wash in France a few year ago. It turned the contents of the washer bottle to a kind of blue jelly/sludge . I had to remove the pump on a campsite and the sealing gromet fell out landing goodness knows where. Had to half strip the front of the car down to find it. Managed to flush the system out and stuck to using water until I returned home, I stick to Prestone only these days.

Focus Mk2 rusty front wings - John F

..... I am convinced mixing brands can lead to sludge

..., when I pulled out the pump the filter was full of gunk. .......was convinced they had added a mystery substance to block the filter and get them some work.

More likely to have been a bacteriological biofilm (aka 'slime') which often develops in stagnant water. The bugs can flourish on washer additives, e.g. detergents.

Focus Mk2 rusty front wings - skidpan

..... I am convinced mixing brands can lead to sludge

..., when I pulled out the pump the filter was full of gunk. .......was convinced they had added a mystery substance to block the filter and get them some work.

More likely to have been a bacteriological biofilm (aka 'slime') which often develops in stagnant water. The bugs can flourish on washer additives, e.g. detergents.

1st Fact was it looked like a piece of chewing gum stuck to the filter.

2nd Fact was it happened the day after the service.

It may have been just a coincidence.