2010 Audi TT TDI - 2010 Audi TT starts, then dies after 1 second, - carnut1980

I have just noticed that my Audi dies after 1 second. The dash cluster DOES NOT respond, or light up, at all!

I've disconnected the battery for 10 min, no difference!

I've used my spare key, no difference, exactly the same thing happens!

It has fuel!

I last used it 3 days ago!

Theres a 1 inch gap by drivers window, no response from switch!

The boot spoiler is raised, it never usually does that unless i am driving, at speed!

Please HELP!

2010 Audi TT TDI - 2010 Audi TT starts, then dies after 1 second, - Crickleymal

Is the battery fully charged? You can get odd things in modern cars with flat batteries.

2010 Audi TT TDI - 2010 Audi TT starts, then dies after 1 second, - Adampr

So, if you turn it to 'on' (and don't start it) does anything happen?

Why is the window open? Did you just find it like that with the spoiler up?

2010 Audi TT TDI - 2010 Audi TT starts, then dies after 1 second, - elekie&a/c doctor
If the dash doesn’t light up , it’s not going to start , as this forms part of the immobiliser network. Best you can do is check fuses in the engine bay box and also the one at the end of the dash , driver side . Any evidence of damp/ water in the footwells ?

Dash doesnt light up, no, the car does start, but dies after literally a second or two. Adding throttle has no effect. Battery is fully charged, i can do the above, 10 times over, it will start, and then it will die! I mention the electronic boot spoiler, only because it never used to raise, unless i am travelling at speed, yet tis in its raised position now. The drivers window, i can only assume, dropped slightly, as i went to start it, though i dont recall it ever dropping, when i started it before, prior to this issue! The passenger window is up fully!

No damp in boot or battery tray!

Turning key does nothing, this model requires clutch to be pressed, and then key to be turned, to start! Which works, for a second, although no response from dash cluster at all, no lights, no needles moving around!

2010 Audi TT TDI - 2010 Audi TT starts, then dies after 1 second, - elekie&a/c doctor
On vag models , if the engine starts and dies after a few seconds, then this is an indication of an immobiliser fault . As I said previously, if the dash doesn’t illuminate, it’s not going to start. More in depth diagnostic required. What about damp in the cabin area , under seats and footwells ?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 18/11/2022 at 15:27

No damp anywhere, car was in regular use! If its an immobiliser fault, why does car start briefly? I thought it wouldnt start at all?

If it IS an immobiliser fault, due to rain, are we talknig fuses here? Cheers

I can’t give you an answer to that . It’s the system designed by VW . Don’t think you’re going to go forward with this without some diagnostic intervention.

Thanks anyway, ill get onto that!

Just to clarify, no response from dash cluster, means no power going to cluster, which potentially means blown fuse?

Sadly , not so simple, I’m afraid . The cluster needs more than a power supply to fire up . Certainly worth checking the fuses first .

I do have the owners manual in front of me. No mention of which fuse might be the culprit, if any! Very strange how this all just started

Take a look at fuse #33 . Should be a 5amp , orange colour.

Quick update. Car starts and drives fine, there WERE no lights on th edash, now there are several, steering light, traction/ESP, red exclamation mark, glow plug light, amongst others! Car still starts and drives fine! Sometimes 'DEF' message appears on dash, sometimes not! I dont believe that ALL these systems have an issue. Unplugging battery for few mins makes no difference! I know i need to get it scanned, but, is there anything else i could check meanwhile? Everything seems to work, windows, blower, radio etc. When i switch off, the dash lights remain on, for a minute or two! What was fuse 33 anyway? Cheers

2010 Audi TT TDI - 2010 Audi TT starts, then dies after 1 second, - Jedd
Hi, I’m currently having the same problem
On my 2010 Audi TT Tdi, also have no damp, did you ever get to the bottom of it?

Cheers

I did have a good feel around the footwell, not damp. I have left a large bowl of salt there overnight, for good measure

Most of those warning lights will illuminate after a battery disconnect. Driving the car for a few minutes should resolve most of those . However, the def light is the dpf warning light . May go out after a longer drive. Fuse 33 is for the instrument pod . May be worth checking the fuses for tightness in their locations.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 25/11/2022 at 14:25

Further update, lights went out after 30 secs of engine running, i assume that fuse was sound, but as i pulled it out, it dropped down beyond reach, i replaced it anyway. Time will tell..

2010 Audi TT TDI - 2010 Audi TT starts, then dies after 1 second, - Big John

Time will tell..

Re read the post further up re battery - if it's on it's way out it can cause havoc.

2010 Audi TT TDI - 2010 Audi TT starts, then dies after 1 second, - madf

Time will tell..

Re read the post further up re battery - if it's on it's way out it can cause havoc.

AGREED

Test battery voltage. Anything less than 12,5V = new battery needed.

Battery showing over 14v when running, and passed the Drop test too. Currently no issues or lights on dash, but like i mentioned before, it went, then came back! Seemed to start after heavy rain for a couple of days, though no signs of damp anywhere!

Is this a cabriolet model ?

no was 2 dr coupe, now sold, thanks for the help though! Didnt misbehave since i last mentioned it!

2010 Audi TT TDI - 2010 Audi TT starts, then dies after 1 second, - colin roy Jones

I had exactly the same problem on my Audi 2008 TT. I had an auto electrician check the electrics on my car with a diagnostic computer and the problem turned out to be the COMFORT CONTROL MODULE (damp) in the boot.

Regards.

Colin.