Honda FR-V - FRV blower fan working but no air output - chindu

Hi all, my wife has a 2004 Honda FR-V on which the blower fan stopped working. I've replaced the motor (the old one packed up completely) and that's now working ok. I opened the glove box and filter compartment to check and there is good air flow in there proving that the blower motor and control panel are working. Adjusting fan speed up and down works as expected, so the resistor seems to be ok as well.

The issue I have though is that there's no air flow out of any of the vents. The screen vent (just under the windscreen), front facing vents and floor vents - all putting nothing out. Can anyone shed any light on this or make any suggestions where I should look next please?

Potentially connected but maybe a totally separate issue is that when I key the engine to the first position before turning over to start the fans by the radiator in the engine bay start running even though the car is cold. Not sure if this was a pre-existing issue or if it happened at the same time as the blower packed up. I presume these shouldn't be running unless it's at a high temperature - maybe a faulty sensor there?

Honda FR-V - FRV blower fan working but no air output - elekie&a/c doctor
Cabin filter blocked ? Blower fan incorrectly wired the wrong way round ? I suspect the cooling fans will run if Aircon is selected.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 27/08/2023 at 21:55

Honda FR-V - FRV blower fan working but no air output - bathtub tom

Could you have disturbed any cables controlling the vents when you replaced the blower motor?

It’s possible. I guess I don’t know enough about how the fans work.
I presumed it was straight through pipework and the air speed was just controlled by the blower motor speed. Is there some sort of actuator which closes off the air output into the cabin.

In response to the previous reply there is very good airflow out of the blower motor and into the box where the pollen filters are. With them removed still nothing coming through.

No combination of air on on/off and external or internal air flow or speed makes any difference.
Just wanted to tie this thread off and hopefully help to someone else later.
So got it sorted. Turned out the fan blades on the replacement motor were pointing in the opposite direction so blew rather that’ll sucked the air in. Made sense when the penny dropped. I ended up removing the blade from the old motor and swapping it to the new motor and hey presto air blowing again.
Honda FR-V - FRV blower fan working but no air output - Surreydriver

I take it then that the replacement motor was not a genuine Honda replacement? The electrical connector can only fit one way round.

Honda FR-V - FRV blower fan working but no air output - RT

There are a number of car models when the HVAC fan blows opposite ways depending on whether the car is RHD or LHD - in the international world of internet parts supply it's not difficult to get the wrong one - maybe that's the case here.