Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - dac1

Hi,
My 2006 Ford Focus is in need of an oil change. The cheapest price I could find is through one of those highstreet/national tyre shops at £95. Gees £95 for a filter and some oil. It wasn't too long ago those same shops were doing an oil change for £35.

Bearing the price in mind and considering I'll want to add some engine flush and use decent oil (no the cheap stuff) I feel like I will complete the oil change myself. I've watched videos online and it all seems straight forward.

My question is what is, what is the safest method to raise the car enough to get underneath it and remove the sump plug?
I've read that Car Ramps are safer (really?) and perfectly fine for those that only wish to change the oil. I've read those who may want to work on brakes should opt for a jack/stands.

What are your thoughts? Should you choose one over the other then can you recommend a particular brand/model? I'm presuming something that can lift 2 tonnes is more than robust, but I'll like your advice, please.

I imagine with two oil changes and I would've made my outlay back. Thanks.

Edited by dac1 on 18/10/2023 at 20:02

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - elekie&a/c doctor
I’ve recently done this job on my old Focus. Jack and stands are the better option , ramps don’t go high enough. However, if you need to buy all the tools and the service kit , it’ll probably work out more expensive than using a garage .
Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - dac1

Thanks for the recommendation on using a jack and ramps.
I don't know much a safe/robust/trustworthy jack and pair of ramps are. I can see prices but I don't know which would be safe.
As for any tools on the Focus, I have a rachet and head to get the sump off. The oil filter will be hand removed and replaced - that's how the videos show it and it's how I've seen it done when I've taken it for a service. If the equipment comes to less than £200 then I'd make my money back after two oil changes and I'd continue to do the oil changes for years to come.

Edited by dac1 on 18/10/2023 at 20:58

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - elekie&a/c doctor
You won’t get the oil filter off by hand , you’ll need a tool for that . Is this petrol or diesel ?
Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - Andrew-T
You won’t get the oil filter off by hand , you’ll need a tool for that . Is this petrol or diesel ?

If this car has a cartridge filter (teacup-sized metal), getting it off will depend on whether the person who fitted it bothered to smear oil on the sealing ring. If yes, no problem ; if not you may have to bang a screwdriver through it to get enough torque to shift it.

I find ramps get enough height for me to slither underneath, with enough headroom for removing sump plug and setting an old basin to catch the oil.

Edited by Andrew-T on 18/10/2023 at 23:20

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - Xileno

I doubt you will get the filter off by hand. They are usually quite tight, a strap or similar tool is usually required. The new one is only done up by hand.

I've used a Pela pump on mine before but I can't remember if I got to the filter from above or not (1.6 petrol). I wouldn't bother with engine flush, on an old engine it might even do more harm than good. Rust usually kills Fords of this era before the engine.

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - Chris M

"I've used a Pela pump on mine before..."

Could try one of these:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403689625441?mkcid=16&mkevt...Y

Warm the oil a little and it will extract all but the last dregs.

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - bathtub tom

I have a rachet and head to get the sump off.

You don't need to remove the sump, it'll have a drain plug.

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - blindspot

start to build a tool kit. halfords sealey draper all pretty good stuff.

by the time you get to my age you barely fit yourself into the garage

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - catsdad

I used traditional open frame metal ramps in the past and had plenty of room. The last time I tried to use them however both of my modern cars were too low at the front to clear the first part of the ramp. Modern ramps look to avoid this with a gentler gradient but they may be lower overall so give you less working room. Ramps are also quite tricky to use in knowing when to stop (as the driver you can’t see anything) and with slippage being an issue until the cars weight is fully on them. With the open framework ones you can loop a length of old carpet as an approach strip to avoid this.
So check any ramp for clearance, ensure it won’t slip and have an assistant who can watch and signal that you are on the ramp. It’s still quite unnerving the first time you do it.
Finally you mention flush. It’s been discussed a few times in here and most of us wouldn’t recommend it.

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - Topdude

Everyone seems to be overcomplicating such a simple job !

I changed the oil and filter on my 1.6 Focus recently and you certainly don't need ramps.

Just place a jack under the sump, raise the front end about 6 inches or so (wheels still touching the ground). Place jack stands under the chassis somewhere safe / convenient and remove the jack.

You can easily reach the sump plug and filter and place a container to catch the oil.

You might need a tool to unscrew the filter but i have managed it by hand.

I use old carpet to lay on and newspaper under the receptacle in case of spillage.

Refit the drainplug and filter (smear oil on the seal) and drop the front end back down.

Check how much oil you need to put back in, put in a little less and use the dipstick to get the level right. Run engine, recheck oil level, check for leaks, job done :)

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - Chris M

"Just place a jack under the sump"

Eeek! Or is that a typo?

"Just place a jack under the sump" Eeek! Or is that a typo?

Exactly. Even a cast-metal sump would probably not take a great load. Jack near the subframe mounts whenever possible IMHO.

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - gordonbennet

Ramps are great but as said the approach angle of modern cars makes normal height ramps not always practicle, you can help with this by making up some sturdy planks fitted with metal lugs which you can drop in half way up the ramp itself to help with initial lift, there are some lower ramps now but IMHO pretty well pointless unless lifting a reall low car enough to get a jack under.

On almost all cars (except for the Audi TT 'coffin' and a few other oddballs) you can get your head out the window as you climb the ramps and see both wheels, as said some old carpet under the ramps will help stop them shooting out, i put my 4x4's up on 4 ramps without any trouble.

Building up a set of tools is always worth doing, don't you'll want a decent bowl to drop the old oil in, which when its hot flows remarkably quickly.

Eventually if you enjoy doing these jobs and saving lots of money over time you'll want axle stands and a trolley jack, i can't stress enough not to go cheap on a trolley jack, a good one will last you a liftetime, i bought a Weber about 5 years ago which replaced a Sealey i bought some 35 years previously and lifted hundreds of cars safely...it's enjoying retirement now working only part time with my daughter...with trolley jacks you want infinite fine control over the lowering valve, this is where the cheap stuff falls down...look see what your local tyre fitter or successful indy garage is using for ideas.

The big pro tool kit from Halfords takes some beating for general tools if you have little in the way of things yet, but when they have the sale on...should be soon.

Regarding undoing filters, i don't advise hammering a screwdriver through, if it still won't come off the, car is then immobilised and once the filter itself is crushed could prove really hard to remove, buy both the fabric type and a chain strap the sort you use with a socket set ratchet driver, on some cars there's little room for the chain type so close is the filter to other pipework but the chain type almost always grips better, some German cars have a large nut designed into the filter casting you can buy the suitable socket for those but the chain type will also shift these with ease....make sure the old rubber seal comes off with the spin on filter, sometimes the seal sticks to the block casting when you take the old one off, check, you do not want to double seal it by mistake.

As hoped the filter might come off by hand pressure alone, helps if you wrap a sheet of sandpaper around the filter to aid grip.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/10/2023 at 08:37

Regarding undoing filters, i don't advise hammering a screwdriver through, ...

Neither do I. But even using a chain-strap I have once found no other available option.

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - focussed

Regarding undoing filters, i don't advise hammering a screwdriver through, ...

Neither do I. But even using a chain-strap I have once found no other available option.

Nobody uses the chain-strap filter wrench any more - they don't grip properly.

Widely promoted at the time - widely rejected afterwards.

What is a pukka tool is one of these:-

www.lasertools.co.uk/product/2830/Metal-Band-Oil-F...m

I've still got mine, it removed and refitted many hundreds of filters, oil, fuel and coolant, when I was grovelling about around engines big and small for money and it still is good to go.

I bought one like that about thirty years ago in France, I think it was about 25 Francs in those days. It is a great bit of kit. I ditched my chain version soon after - I always found them prone to deforming the filter if it was on very tight. Also if access is tight, the strap tool can be put on with one hand.

I agree that a chain strap on its own grips poorly, but an old rubber glove can improve things. I don't change oil often enough these days to need a replacement.

when i said you can see both wheels, i of course meant both wheels on the driver's side :-)

One other thought re tools, don't spend too much on a socket set unless it comes with 6 sided sockets, try and buy 6 sided sockets whenever possible, you'll thank yourself later when you arn't forever rounding off nuts and bolts, also put your main sockets on a socket rail, much easier to have around the job with you instead of a huge tool or socket set getting filled up with droplets of water or bits and pieces that inevitably find their into your tools.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/10/2023 at 13:12

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - edlithgow

... also put your main sockets on a socket rail, much easier to have around the job with you instead of a huge tool or socket set getting filled up with droplets of water or bits and pieces that inevitably find their into your tools.

Surprisingly hard to find in Taiwan. I got one in Japan eventually, but meantime I used an IKEA magnetic knife rack for ready-use sockets, with the whole set threaded on a loop of plastic coated electrical wire which I could carry bandolier stylee.

Very Mr T (A Team reference, for those not in tune with yesterdays TV Zeitgeist).

Could also use the IKEA rack for laying out removed fastners in linear sequence, which was sometimes useful.

I'd add that in general I prefer half inch drive to 3/8, especially in the UK where rusted fastners are more likely to be a thing, and if possible I prefer to avoid chromed sockets in favour of a mat (aluminised?) finish, which is less likely to shed uber-hard shiny bits where they could do harm.

Chrome is, however, the norm, and this probably shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - Lee Power

Hi,
My 2006 Ford Focus is in need of an oil change. The cheapest price I could find is through one of those highstreet/national tyre shops at £95. Gees £95 for a filter and some oil. It wasn't too long ago those same shops were doing an oil change for £35.

What oil was quoted for? The correct manufacturers spec oil for the vehicle OR is this a 10w40 goes in everything type of place?

Some oil is more expensive then others depending on the vehicle application.

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - Big John

I once helped rescue someone changing a clutch on a Vauxhall Chevette where the axle stands had toppled as the car had rolled back slightly. I'd walked around to meet a friend ready to go out for a beer when we heard a faint "help". Fortunately as the Chevette had a tiny engine me and another person managed to lift the front of the car enough to relieve pressure on the person under the car and someone else got a jack underneath so the poor guy could get out. So for me just axle stands - NOOOOOOO. I have a solid pair of well preserved railway sleepers that I use jacking up a wheel and dropping onto the sleeper.. I use axle stands where I need to release suspension but I wouldn't get under the car.

Fortunately as the Chevette had a tiny engine me and another person managed to lift the front of the car enough to relieve pressure on the person under the car and someone else got a jack underneath so the poor guy could get out. So for me just axle stands -.

Surely the lesson to be learnt here is not just about how to support a raised car ? It's to make sure that car cannot roll, either forwards or backwards. Maybe that chap put it in gear and then forgot that the front wheels weren't on the ground .... :-(

So from that angle, ramps may be safer ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 20/10/2023 at 09:32

Surely the lesson to be learnt here is not just about how to support a raised car ? It's to make sure that car cannot roll, either forwards or backwards.

Indeed, but if you look at the laws of physics you need very little movement forwards / backwards to topple axe stands especially if well extended. With ramps you still have to consider rolling but you have a lot of ramp to go at usually with a stop at the front. So yes ramps are much safer but not always possible if wheels need to be removed etc.

Fortunately in the case I witnessed / helped with many moons ago (late 80s) the outcome was ok but it was a lesson leant for me going forward.

Edited by Big John on 20/10/2023 at 09:57

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - Adampr

There's no way you would get me under a car on a jack or axle stands, particularly if I was trying to wrench an oil filter off.

Ramps are the safest bet if you are doing it yourself. Maybe borrow some from a friend if you don't have them. Make sure the handbrake is on and it's in gear before you start work.

Ideally, find someone with a pit or a lift to work safely. It will make a huge difference to how easy it is to do the job too.

Axle stands are OK, but you want meaty blighters with strong well shaped cups that will fit around strong underbody points, typically sold as suitable for 4x4's vans etc, stands sold for cars tend not to be as solid, but you'll need a decent trolley jack to get a normal car high enough to get the larger versions under.

But the best axle stands i ever had was when a teen working on my own cars frequently, my dad got a couple of hefty hardwood blocks cut from tree trunks some 14/16" diameter, dropped onto them you would have to tow the car to get it to move, various bolts etc digging slightly into the wood.

I have some extra long extra high ramps, which also have a plate inset into the top with easily removable jacks underneath, in their normal state they stand a little over a ft tall (much longer approach frame to help with poor approach angles) but can be jacked up another 8" or so once the wheels are safely in the trays, heavy and take some room up, though stackable, a normal ramp is nothing like these, lots of this type to be found online, worth investing if you spend some time under cars for servicing rustproofing etc.

this sort of thing ebay 295983403300, and the ramp extensions i talked about to help with cars with poor approach angles are ebay 144623516011, not suggesting these are the best or would work with any particular car, but to give some ideas what can be done.

Something i've never seen before, and the fact they don't appear to have a locking mechanism so presumably relying on the hydraulics alone to keep them up! means ahm oot, are these, brilliant bit of kit but i'd definately want a safety brace once raised, ebay 295986961130 they'd be a good idea otherwise for low cars.

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - madf

When raising two wheels, I use axle stands BUT also jacks under the jacking points - so double safety if one fails.

Not had an issue in 60 years DIY on cars.

Tried ramps but decided unsafe when driving on, So gave up and sold them 30 years ago, Less storage needed as well.

Edited by madf on 20/10/2023 at 11:49

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - bazza

Never ever punch a hole through the oil filter with a screwdriver!! I did that once, many years ago on a mini metro as a last resort. As I turned the screwdriver the filter metal ripped and I was left with a large jagged hole, a drastically weakened filter that couldn't be grabbed and an immobilised car! I think I ended up driving it off very gradually with a cold chisel. It took hours. Never again, if it won't come off take it to a garage!

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - John F

Ramps are perfectly adequate. I've always used them. But as said above, a jack and a few bricks or wooden blocks for safety (I never trust a jack alone) once you've jacked it up is enough to get at the sump plug and oil filter. If you haven't got an oil filter wrench, find some thin old rope and wind it around the oil filter (wiped clean so it grips) anticlockwise several times then pull hard to unscrew it. Don't do its replacement up too tightly! Make sure you have a tray and plenty of old newspaper and rags handy - there's usually lots of mess! After around 80,000 miles I used to wait till our old Focus had burned the oil down to the minimum mark. If you don't have a tray, cut a panel out of an old 5l oil can and collect it in that. I pour it into an old 20 litre can and take it to the tip when full, although it's surprising how useful old oil can be.

PS I think engine flushes are a waste of money. Far better to leave it to drip overnight to allow complete drainage of the old grot. You might be surprised by the size of the dark brown puddle. I usually tilt the car to ensure the sump plug is at the lowest level.

Edited by John F on 20/10/2023 at 12:47

If you haven't got an oil filter wrench, find some thin old rope and wind it around the oil filter (wiped clean so it grips) anticlockwise several times then pull hard to unscrew it. Don't do its replacement up too tightly!

As above - it's worth repeating - if you expect to do the next filter change, smear the sealing ring with the old oil before fitting the filter. That way you will never need the screwdriver ...

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - Lee Power

If you haven't got an oil filter wrench, find some thin old rope and wind it around the oil filter (wiped clean so it grips) anticlockwise several times then pull hard to unscrew it. Don't do its replacement up too tightly!

As above - it's worth repeating - if you expect to do the next filter change, smear the sealing ring with the old oil before fitting the filter. That way you will never need the screwdriver ...

Good advice - unless its a Toyota genuine oil filter as these come with a pre greased sealing ring - just remove the clear plastic protection packaging from the filter.

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - bathtub tom

I had an A35 collapse on me when it rolled off a hydraulic jack. Fortunately I locked my fore - arms and a couple of passing blokes heard my shouts and lifted it enough for me to get out - impetuous youthfulness!

More recently I had a car roll off ramps. I was fitting a particularly recalcitrant air filter and the force I used was sufficient to move the car. The ramps consisted of horizontal bars which I (mistakenly) thought were sufficient to hold it in place without using the handbrake.

I'm getting too old!

Those ramps-with-stands could be made cheaper and lighter if they didn't come with jacks, so you could just use the bottle jack you already had to raiise them and then lock them in place.

I think I used (borrowed) ramps once, but the possibility of driving off the end made me too nervous, plus, working in the street parallel parked, as I usually had to do, there often wouldnt be room to use them. So made do with stands and a bottle jack, the latter smaller, cheaper and more versatile than the trolley jack someone mentions as essential up above somewhere, though have had one or two close shaves. Both are especially dangerous on granite sets, the traditional, slippery and uneven square cobblestone road surface outside my flat in Edinburgh.

The jack can be made slightly safer by putting it on a rubber or carpet tile. I've thought of "upgrading" the stands with those screw-adjustable scaffolding feet, but never got around to "acquiring" them.

I wouldn't use bricks, (also mentioned above) They can crumble. Wood also has to be selected with caution since it can split along grain, though latterly in Taiwan I acquired some mahogany planks that seemed reliable, also a batch of industrial floor tiles made from stainless steel and rubber, chucked out from the local railway station, and some hefty rubber bricks that had been aircon machinery mountings. Plywood (preferably shuttering ply with a waterproof glue) is also OK

Steel (or I suppose alloy, though not tried that) wheels, with or without tyres can sometimes be used to give axle stands a useful height boost. for particular jobs.

All that said, I think on most of my past cars I could do an oil drain with the car on its wheels, though I would usually jack up to get better drainage.

I suppose if you need to jack up, and you are only doing this very seldom, as for an oil change, the jack that came with the car might be adequate, but some of these (not the GP scissor jack types) only work with the factory jacking points; I dont habitually use these since they tend to be rot traps, and on some of my past UK cars have been none too solid.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/10/2023 at 05:42

I think I used (borrowed) ramps once, but the possibility of driving off the end made me too nervous obs.

I agree re driving onto ramps being difficult/dangerous (driving off the end, burning clutch out etc) but I generally use combined with a trolley jack to lift the car up then slide the ramp under the wheel.

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - galileo

Both are especially dangerous on granite sets, the traditional, slippery and uneven square cobblestone road surface outside my flat in Edinburgh.

Yes indeed, Ed, I had a flat in Circus Gardens years ago and rather than risk jacking there to swap a bald tyre for the spare I was fortunate to be able to use a forklift truck at work, much the easiest way to do the job. (NB, smooth tyres were legal back then, though somewhat tricky on wet cobbles.)

These look quite useful if you can justify the price: tinyurl.com/58aw7y9p

If the hydraulic ones in the ebay link are from the same company then it looks like they have a safety lock at the full height. They look seriously useful but a bit pricey for the casual user.

tinyurl.com/59a3wxha

Edited by Xileno on 22/10/2023 at 17:35

(NB, smooth tyres were legal back then, though somewhat tricky on wet cobbles.)

Must have been quite a while ago. Those were the days

Ramps or Jack/Stands for safety - galileo

(NB, smooth tyres were legal back then, though somewhat tricky on wet cobbles.)

Must have been quite a while ago. Those were the days

1966, I used to go down the A68 to see my girlfriend at weekends. That road has been spoilt by 50 mph limits, observing those limits increases the journey time from what I used to do in a Ford 100E with drum brakes.

More traffic and more regulation has taken much of the pleasure out of driving, even though cars are more reliable, faster and more comfortable.

<< I used to go down the A68 to see my girlfriend at weekends. That road has been spoilt by 50 mph limits, observing those limits increases the journey time from what I used to do in a Ford 100E with drum brakes. More traffic and more regulation has taken much of the pleasure out of driving, even though cars are more reliable, faster and more comfortable. >>

A few months ago I drove from Cheshire to Cardiff via mid-Wales - Welshpool, Oswestry, Newtown. This place is no longer a bottleneck, with a fine recent bypass. From then on the road through Llandrindod to Brecon was a joy, hardly any traffic, just like the 1970s. Until reaching Merthyr, where the roadworks on the Heads of Valleys road show no sign of ending. After that everything goes downhill, lit. and fig.

No doubt things have been infected with 20mph limits since, but hey-ho ....

I'll just add, 4WIW, that I had made a set of floorboards for driver and passenger footwells with my scrounged up bits of varnished mahogany plank (originally room flooring,).

Looked pretty fancy. I didn't have carpet and dont think much of it, having chucked it a few years ago.

These planks were tied together venetian blind stylee in two sets with heavy industrial nylon monofilament fishing line (as used for bamboo oyster-farm rafts) scrounged up from the beach.

The idea was that I could also use these for variable height jack footing, and as an under-wheel recovery mat if I got the car stuck in soft beach sand , This has happened in the past, and I've used footwell mats as a recovery aid, but they did tend to get damaged.

Floorboards were not really tested in this role since the car was out of action since I made them, and they went with it to the sc*** yard.