VW Golf Plus - Does clutch replacement need new flywheel too? - Elma Glasgow

I bought a 2011 Golf Plus 4 weeks ago from a private seller. Last week the clutch went, following a few weeks of the motor over-revving. It was doing that as I drove the car back from the seller's house but didn't recognise it as being a potential clutch issue, and got a lot worse suddenly last week (the seller has refused to contribute to the cost).

Anyway, I've been quoted between £550 and £1200, depending on whether the flywheel is replaced as well as the clutch. Garages are saying that they won't give me a warranty if the flywheel isn't replaced. However my usual garage is the only one saying they'll provide a warranty after just replacing the clutch and not the flywheel.

I'm confused and not a mechanic so am very concerned about this going wrong, one way or other.

Can anyone offer any advice as to the best way forward?

VW Golf Plus - Does clutch replacement need new flywheel too? - elekie&a/c doctor
Very much depends on wether it has a dual mass flywheel. If it does , then it would be foolish to not replace it . If not fitted with a dmf , then probably get away with just a clutch kit . If the flywheel is badly scored or overheated, then it’s likely it will need replacement.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 22/10/2023 at 17:57

VW Golf Plus - Does clutch replacement need new flywheel too? - Big John

Last week the clutch went, following a few weeks of the motor over-revving.

If driven for a few weeks over revving - ie clutch slipping - then flywheel will have been overheated so yes replace the flywheel.

You don't say which engine it is but make sure it's a full kit including clutch slave cylinder IF it's within the bellhousing (concentric) as they are known to fail. Some small petrol engined versions may have an external slave cylinder where this is less important.

Thank you.

It's a diesel 1.6 engine.

VW Golf Plus - Does clutch replacement need new flywheel too? - elekie&a/c doctor
In that case it’s very likely to have a dmf .
VW Golf Plus - Does clutch replacement need new flywheel too? - edlithgow

I assume. if these are modern enough to have modern auto-destructive "enhancements" like DMF, that they don't have a cable operated clutch, but could someone confirm this?

OP, I ask this because, if it DID have a cable operated clutch, it might need adjusted periodically, otherwise the clutch might start slipping and wreck itself.

Unlikely to be the cause of your original failure, though, unless the PO was clueless, since its free and easy to do and thus wouldn't be a reason to offload a car

Edited by edlithgow on 23/10/2023 at 07:07

VW Golf Plus - Does clutch replacement need new flywheel too? - Steveieb

I took the. Advice of my mechanic when my clutch got heavy and only replaced the clutch and not the dmf.

Big mistake as weeks later the gears got very stiff to engage so I got rid of the car .

VW Golf Plus - Does clutch replacement need new flywheel too? - gordonbennet

Soon as a clutch starts slipping ity should be replaced as soon as possible, even if it had a standard flywheel if the driven plate gets so worn the rivets are protruding they will dig a perfect groove into the flywheel deeming it sc*** anyway.

If it has a DMF then it seems pointless doing all that work and not swapping the flywheel too, if the old DMF starts playing up in 6 months time the whole will have to be done again.

Very good points. I'll discuss this with my garage.

Appreciate everyone's input.