Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 2015 plate Oil Light and Noise - Luke Millet

I have a 1 litre Hyundai i10, a '64' plate but new in January 2015 which I bought four months ago. For a few weeks the red oil light has flashed on briefly on a few occasions, mostly either when hitting a pothole, speed ramp or cornering. It would come on for a second then go off. Christmas week however this became more and more frequent. Sometimes it would remain on when the car was started an only go off when just over 2000 revs were reached but would still then keep coming on and off. It's now developed a whirring or rustling sound coming from the offside area of the engine. I'm advised this may to do with the oil pump?

I'm not very good with cars so can't be sure. The noise is coming from the area the pump is apparently located however. I'm also warned there may be serious engine damage and I may need a replacement engine. The runs as well as it always has, the temperature gauge stay at the level it should. I've checked the oil which is at it's maximum level, perhaps a tad over.

Any advice please everyone?

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 2015 plate Oil Light and Noise - elekie&a/c doctor
Running any engine with an oil warning light on is not good news . There may now be expensive damage . Some investigation will need to be done to ascertain whether is an economic repair.
Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 2015 plate Oil Light and Noise - galileo

I have a 1 litre Hyundai i10, a '64' plate but new in January 2015 which I bought four months ago. For a few weeks the red oil light has flashed on briefly on a few occasions, mostly either when hitting a pothole, speed ramp or cornering. It would come on for a second then go off. Christmas week however this became more and more frequent. Sometimes it would remain on when the car was started an only go off when just over 2000 revs were reached but would still then keep coming on and off. It's now developed a whirring or rustling sound coming from the offside area of the engine. I'm advised this may to do with the oil pump?

I'm not very good with cars so can't be sure. The noise is coming from the area the pump is apparently located however. I'm also warned there may be serious engine damage and I may need a replacement engine. The runs as well as it always has, the temperature gauge stay at the level it should. I've checked the oil which is at it's maximum level, perhaps a tad over.

Any advice please everyone?

Why didn't you read the manual or ask yourself why there is an oil warning light?

Checking the oil level would be a good idea, do they not ask for how to do this as part of the driving test?

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 2015 plate Oil Light and Noise - paul 1963

Luke, without meaning to be rude why on earth would you carry on driving your car with albeit intermittent oil light warning?

Strongly suspect the oil pump had a problem, sadly now it seems the whole engine has a problem, get it to a garage asap...

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 2015 plate Oil Light and Noise - Andrew-T

<< Why didn't you read the manual or ask yourself why there is an oil warning light? Checking the oil level would be a good idea, do they not ask for how to do this as part of the driving test? >>

Galileo, it looks as if you didn't read as far as the OP's last sentence ? :-)

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 2015 plate Oil Light and Noise - galileo

<< Why didn't you read the manual or ask yourself why there is an oil warning light? Checking the oil level would be a good idea, do they not ask for how to do this as part of the driving test? >>

My point was that a warning light is just that, a warning, suggesting some one competent should check why it is on.

The owners manual on most cars recommends this, if the oil is above the full mark this is also not ideal, and the reason should be investigated.

Hyundai i10 - Hyundai i10 2015 plate Oil Light and Noise - John F

Seems to me the somewhat hectoring responses so far would be unhelpful to the OP. He is obviously aware of potential engine damage and has checked the oil level. But ,as so often, age is mentioned (immaterial for machines) but not mileage. Also, is the red warning light for low level or low pressure? The difference is crucial. If merely low level I suspect a dodgy electrical connection. The whirring sound might be something totally unrelated, possibly from a drive belt. If visible, spray some water on it to see if it alters the noise.

A similar problem was discussed here in 2019.....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/131811/hyundai-i10...5

I would also see if there was anything on the Hyundai forum. Hope this is helpful.

PS ....as it seems to have been flashing almost since the OP bought it, I wonder if the previous owner had let it run too low, realised the error and the possibility of damage, topped it up and flogged it.

Edited by John F on 09/01/2024 at 09:01