Citroen berlingo - Help with new flexi Exhaust - JayCK9

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to post photos on a post?

I hope I am posting this in the correct place / asking the correct people.

The flexi pipe on my exhaust was replaced a few weeks ago and when it was returned it came back with this yellow putty around it. (The top picture). It's been working fine but I still think it looks a messy job and am a bit upset with it...Now two weeks later it has gone black (the lower photo). What does this mean? Is this something people normally use? And should I be worried? As I say.. van is working fine so there isn't actually a problem..just a messy job :(

Citroen berlingo - Help with new flexi Exhaust - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s fairly normal to use an exhaust assembly putty / paste to seal any minor leak on a joint . Usually just a small amount is needed. The fact that it’s excessive, could mean the joint on the system is not fitted correctly. It’s not a problem as long as it lasts .

Thankyou so much for your reply! It has a bracket connecting the joint (if a bracket is the right word) and the putty covers the whole bracket. It's more th fact that some of the putty is now black and half gone that is worrying me.. some of it is still yellow.. could it have burn away because it wasn't heat resistant maybe? Or is yellow putty supposed to turn black ??

Edited by JayCK9 on 16/01/2024 at 16:35

Citroen berlingo - Help with new flexi Exhaust - elekie&a/c doctor
Take it back to whoever fitted it and tell them you’re not happy . It’s not a satisfactory repair .
Citroen berlingo - Help with new flexi Exhaust - gordonbennet

The black you are seeing could just be road salt residue cooking hard on the sealant, or it could be exhaust gases blowing by an unsealed joint, if it is blowing it will fail the MOT test.

It is actually going for a service this week at a different garage so I hope they will be able to advise me more too. I'm also hoping to sell the van soon so am hoping it's nothing bad. It definitely is a messy job tho...but as I said everything is running fine ..i wouldn't want to pass it on if it has any problems.

I don't really want to take it back to the same person if they will just bodge a job again.. but would like to know why it's wrong or what problems it can cause.. is there anyway I can show a picture of it on here?

Citroen berlingo - Help with new flexi Exhaust - Gibbo_Wirral

Upload your photo to a free photo sharing site (I use 500px) and then share the web link