toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - martin

Hello All,

i decided to clean the injectors on my RAV 4 D4D 2007, which were badly carbonized and the spray pattern was out...i refitted them and the car started and ran a lot better than before, we had real issues even starting with the clogged injectors....Unfortunately for me, i did not change the small rubber join on the injector shaft which has lead to some problems...

After a week or so of normal driving, the rav had sudden runaway acceleration, a bloom of white smoke and came to a stop. I have since changed the small rubber joints and refitted the injectors, but the car will not start, the starter cranks but no combustion at all.....I was thinking of the Turbo? A problem with compression? The oil stick shows the oil has very high, which it is not, so im wondering why the oil level should read as high? Anyway, hope this long-winded email can save me from a divorce......thanks...

toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - elekie&a/c doctor
If you’ve had runaway acceleration, I would think the engine is now toast . I very much doubt the work you’ve done on the injectors has caused the problem. The engine has runaway due to excessive oil level.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 23/02/2024 at 16:35

toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - skidpan

The oil stick shows the oil has very high, which it is not,

If the dipstick shows a high oil level there is a high oil level. How could it not be? Its a stick with lines on it.

toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - bathtub tom

I suspect the OP thinks the engine can't generate its own oil and therefore doesn't believe the level on the dipstick. However, they'd had the injectors out and 'cleaned' them. If they'd then been injecting excess fuel into the cylinders, that could find its way into the sump, raising the level sufficiently to get into the breather system and runaway on its own oil+fuel.

toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - edlithgow

IF I understand you correctly, you are attempting to re-start the engine STILL with (probably) fuel-diluted oil

STOP

IF the engine isn't already wrecked, this is your second opportunity to wreck it.

DONT

Damage in such cases can be severe, as in con-rod through the oil pan severe, but you would probably have noticed that. Any loud noises before it stopped?

If there is no obvious dramatic damage. possibilities might include

Seized piston, due to oil starvation, but I gather its still got oil (albeit probably dilute) and is still turning over

Broken piston rings, causing loss of compression

Cracked cylinder head, ditto

Broken fuel pump, no longer supplying the official fuel ration. This wouldn't necessarily stop it running unofficially on the diluted sump oil, but you dont want it to do that.

Turbo failure, as you suggest. That'd be good, since your actual engine MIGHT be relatively unscathed. and it could get you off the hook entirely, since turbo oil seal failure could have supplied the engine with the fuel to overrun. Cloud of white smoke could be consistent with this.

Bit of a coincidence that you've been fiddling with the injectors, which are probably more likely to have raised the sump level. but it might serve as a cover story.

Before doing anything further, I would work out some IA's for stopping another engine overrun. Possibilities are stalling it (only applies to a manual transmission, which you might break) and suffocating it, either by blocking the air intake, which may not be very accessible, or using a CO2 fire extinguisher. The last one sounds safest to me.

MIGHT be time to call in the pros. I wouldn't, but then I've lost vehicles through stubborness

Edited by edlithgow on 24/02/2024 at 02:25

toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - John F

The oil stick shows the oil has very high, which it is not, so im wondering why the oil level should read as high?

I think it's a common problem for old diesel engines. Unburnt fuel makes its way into the sump, which is probably why some people make the absurd and impossible assertion 'my engine uses no oil between services'. What they don't realise is that as fast as the oil is being burned, it is being replaced by fuel. As most people don't run their engines beyond 150,000 miles, the resulting reduced engine life from its increasingly compromised lubricant is not a problem, unless the sump gets so full of the fuel/oil mixture it 'runs away' and lunches itself.

thanks for all the replies////an update....

As some suggested, fuel had found its way into the engine, so full drain of all oil, change oil and air filters and the actually started more or less ok....took it for a run, it belched white smoke for a while then nothing. I do however, have a small leak on the rocker cover, broken seal or not re fitted correctly. I will order a new seal which are rubber from Toyota and re fit the rocker cover. The car seems to run ok, still a little clogged, but oil levels are back to normal and turbo seems to work. The rocker cover leak is too bad to ignore, so i will have to re-seal before using the car again....

I'm not sure I've escaped damaging the motor, but the vehicule accelerates well although it does seem somewhat clogged....

ill keep you posted....again, many thanks...

toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - bathtub tom

Have you found out how the fuel found it's way into the engine and cured the cause?

Yes....it was through the perished seal around the injectors..have now changed but rav still won't start without some starter spray in the air intake...

toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - Heidfirst

thanks for all the replies////an update....

As some suggested, fuel had found its way into the engine, so full drain of all oil, change oil and air filters and the actually started more or less ok....took it for a run, it belched white smoke for a while then nothing.

is this a D-CAT?

yes.....the CAT is a real b***** to access, behind and under the engine...i managed to clean it before using CATCLEANER...this worked quite well...

toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - Heidfirst

yes.....the CAT is a real b***** to access, behind and under the engine...i managed to clean it before using CATCLEANER...this worked quite well...

So it is a 2.2, 180bhp?

If so, the white smoke would be normal on the DNPR (a Toyota-specific design of DPF) performing a regen.

Btw the DNPR has it's own injector & iirc the injectors use a copper washer.

You did put the injectors back in the correct cylinders that they came out of? Otherwise the ECU may need recoding/injectors re-calibrated.

Edited by Heidfirst on 26/02/2024 at 13:51

toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - gordonbennet

Btw the DNPR has it's own injector & iirc the injectors use a copper washer.

You did put the injectors back in the correct cylinders that they came out of? Otherwise the ECU may need recoding/injectors re-calibrated.

Interesting re the injector seals.

With the 3.0 litre D4D, they originally came with copper washers, they were inclined to leak after a while, many recalled for refitting with aluminium washers, my engine would have been recalled.

OP, how did you clean the injectors out of interest?

toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - edlithgow

Thats good.

BUT since you dont apparently have a definite diagnosis, and thus don't have a definite cure, overrun might happen again, and you might not be so lucky next time.

MIGHT be that replacing the injector component you didn't replace last time has fixed an over-fuelling problem, but as a minimum I'd keep a close eye on oil level/quality, and work out and practice a drill for stopping the engine.

toyota rav 4 2007 - RAV 4 cockup!!!! - gordonbennet

You've presumably fixed the issue causing fuel to enter the crankcase (the rubber fitting mentioned in your OP), but when you cleaned the injectors did you thoroughly clean the injector seats themselves (dowel and rag work well) and fit new injector seals?

If you used the old seals i'd be more concerned about possibly injector blow by, which would very quickly carbonise the oil which soon ends up in the oil pick up strainer (number one killer of 3 litre 4 cyl Toyota Diesels), worth investing in a cheap endoscope and when you next drop the oil poke it up the oil drain hole and have look at the strainer...on Landcruisers with the 3.0 litre lump the pick up directly above the drain hole so a torch does the trick , don't suppose you'll be so fortunate with the Rav sump.

Note on the larger engine injector pipes are single use only, not sure on Rav, if you re-used the old pipes could there be a hairline crack allowing fuel in?

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/02/2024 at 06:55

It was the seals on the injectors...did not change.totally perished. Now new ones on but car won't start without starter spray into the air intake...do you think I need to reclean the injectors?? Cheers...

Those seals are on the outside of the injectors and don’t come into contact with diesel fuel . They are there to prevent the ingress of dirt down onto injector nozzles. I would remove the injectors and get them tested . Does your car have a dpf system?

Yes...I cleaned it some years back. Could it have gotten dirty with all my shinanigans??

yes it has a dfp...the injectors were not fitted correctly into the holes, so the rubber joints where barely in contact with the metal. Given the pressures, im sure oil and fuel got mixed.....

It doesn’t work like that . The injector seals into the combustion chamber with crush washers on the injector nozzles. There’s no engine oil involved here . I would think the problem with excessive oil level in the sump is due to faulty injectors or a problem with the dpf regeneration system. It’s diesel that’s causing the sump level to rise .