Kia Ceed crdi - Seized Jam nut on tie rod / track rod end - Monty 250

Hi

I’ve recently had my car tracking done but the jam nut was seized on the tie-rod, the mechanic used a blow lamp to heat the nut, then when he started to turn it he gave it a squirt of WD40

It did the trick, but would this have damaged or hardened the tie-rod with the WD40 cooling the metal too quickly?

will this cause the tie-rod to fail?

Edited by Monty 250 on 05/03/2024 at 17:31

Kia Ceed crdi - Seized Jam nut on tie rod / track rod end - elekie&a/c doctor
Very unlikely.
Kia Ceed crdi - Seized Jam nut on tie rod / track rod end - Chris M

It's the method that's been used for years.

Reminds me of the time a couple of years ago when I took my son's Fiesta to have the tracking adjusted for the umpteenth time (it was always being knocked out of alignment). I had successfully used the national chain several times. This chain had a long running half price offer. I turned up and the usual manager wasn't there. The relief manager looked a little put out when I produced the voucher and said he wouldn't be able to honour it if he needed to use heat. Fine I said, knowing it was well under a year since it was last adjusted and couldn't have seized. Guess what?

Haven't been back since.

Kia Ceed crdi - Seized Jam nut on tie rod / track rod end - edlithgow

Cant remember doing this job, and if I have it would be long ago before I started putting PTFE tape or polythene on threads.

But using grease or anti-seize should stop it happening again.

Re loss of temper of the steel as a result of rapid quenching by the WD40 (Water would be a lot worse. I wonder if it would be more effective in shocking a part free?), if this was of concern, it could perhaps be addressed by re-tempering, heating the part again and letting it air-cool more slowly.

I dont know if its a problem and I suspect no one else does either, but I doubt re-tempering is ever done by pros.

If it bothers you, you'll have to DIY

Edited by edlithgow on 06/03/2024 at 00:27

Kia Ceed crdi - Seized Jam nut on tie rod / track rod end - galileo

Hi

I’ve recently had my car tracking done but the jam nut was seized on the tie-rod, the mechanic used a blow lamp to heat the nut, then when he started to turn it he gave it a squirt of WD40

It did the trick, but would this have damaged or hardened the tie-rod with the WD40 cooling the metal too quickly?

No chance of that, the nut and tie rod would need to be heated to above red heat and quenched in cold brine to seriously affect mechanical properties.

I doubt that a blow lamp would be capable of that, oxy-acetylene torch would but would have unfortunate side effects on the other nearby parts of the car, not ruling out fire.

Kia Ceed crdi - Seized Jam nut on tie rod / track rod end - edlithgow

Hi

No chance of that, the nut and tie rod would need to be heated to above red heat and quenched in cold brine to seriously affect mechanical properties.

I doubt that a blow lamp would be capable of that, oxy-acetylene torch would but would have unfortunate side effects on the other nearby parts of the car, not ruling out fire.

I was guessing that the "blowlamp" was probably in fact oxyacetylene, because my impression is that garages mostly use oxyacetylene for this kind of job.

Presumably they don't have too many catastrophic fires, though I once had a very close shave myself using oxyacetylene to weld a box section that I hadnt realised had a plastic petrol pipe running through it.

From an inspection pit, already. Hopefully a pro wouldn't make such a mistake.

If the "blowlamp" was in fact a blowtorch,(using atmospheric oxygen as its oxidant, which MIGHT be a working definition of the term) then I'd agree that significant temper changes are probably unlikely.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/03/2024 at 01:18