Battery dies as soon as ignition is turned off - mjon07

I have a 07 Astra petrol 1.8 hatchback . I was driving last week everything seemed ok .

I parked out side the house went in for about 10 mins went back into car and it was as if there was no battery in the car there was nothing no dashboard lights , no clicking ,the remote locking didn't work the battery was totally flat. I put a charger on the battery the car started and I drove off. I drove for about 30 mins with lights on there was no dimming of lights , no battery light on dash as soon as I turned the ignition off it went flat again . I have done the fuse test , cleaned the earth connection , checked no lights on , checked alternator all ok .

Put brand new battery on.

Any ideas ?

Battery dies as soon as ignition is turned off - bathtub tom

I'd start off by checking all the battery connections to earth, starter etc.

Battery dies as soon as ignition is turned off - elekie&a/c doctor
Is the new battery also dead ? I’d check the leads with the bolt on ring terminals on the battery points.

Checked all connections , earth leads , fuses and glovebox, boot interior lights all ok still going flat when ignition is turned off . Put a charger on car started put volt meter on reading of 14.32 , took charger off still 14.32 put battery under load with lights on and main beam, revved engine still holding at 14.31 .

Turned off ignition put charger on dropped to 6 .

Battery dies as soon as ignition is turned off - edlithgow

Sounds like your original battery was knackered.

Assuming your replacement battery is so far ok, I would check the charging voltage and parasitic draw current to your new battery in case its under or over charging when on and/r draining rapidly when off, which might knacker your new battery in short order

If a new battery drops to 6 volts within minutes of turning off the ignition, then I would think it’s faulty.
Battery dies as soon as ignition is turned off - Falkirk Bairn

17 year old car?

Earth strap to body from -ve battery terminal - corrosion between strap & bodywork?

Cleaning up connectors and the body could help. If not only a few minutes and no real expense.

Worth a go IMHO

Battery dies as soon as ignition is turned off - galileo

17 year old car?

Earth strap to body from -ve battery terminal - corrosion between strap & bodywork?

Cleaning up connectors and the body could help. If not only a few minutes and no real expense.

Worth a go IMHO

If a fully charged battery of 40+ ampere hours capacity is instantly emptied by turning ignition off, where has all that electricity gone to?

Can the instant voltage drop be seen on a voltmeter across the terminals?

Yes put volt maeter on and you can it dropping like a stone .

For a battery to discharge that quickly, something must be getting very hot or on the verge of catching fire .
For a battery to discharge that quickly, something must be getting very hot or on the verge of catching fire .

Exactly so: the OP says they installed a brand new battery, but I assume the problem still occurs with that, so can't be an internal short in the battery, which might have been the original battery problem (though might have boiled the electrolyte).

Yeh, you probably dont want to keep doing that.

To limit the potential exitment and expense, perhaps you could hook up a (dumb) charger of some kind, maybe a "wall wart " stylee battery maintainer.

This MIGHT give you enough juice to check for (and trace) parasitic draw, without supplying enough for meltdown.

Edited by edlithgow on 13/03/2024 at 05:24

would a heavy duty ammeter in series with a battery lead show the current drain, maybe best to connect it through a fuse to avoid blowing the ammeter?

Still doesn't tell what is causing the drain, obvious things like lights illuminating but what else could draw lots of current with no sign of heating?

Edited by galileo on 13/03/2024 at 12:38

Battery dies as soon as ignition is turned off - Terry W

How long does it take for a fully charged battery to be incapable of starting the engine when installed in the car without being driven.

A typical 12v 60 amp car battery has a capacity of 720 watts. The speed with which this discharges is a guide to the power loss.

Normal ancillaries - alarms, radio, central locking etc are low draw - a car could remain unused for a month or more before problems with battery charge.

A couple of standard headlights will use ~120w - if they were left on the battery would be flattened in ~6 hours.

If the battery is drained within (say) 15 minutes this would be the equivalent energy to a 3kw electric fire - a lot of energy being lost somewhere. Sparks would fly and a vehicle fire a real risk.

This may help identify what is causing the charge loss.

The alternative is that it appears discharged after having been driven - this is more likely to be caused by a loose or corroded connection becoming detached due to vibration etc when the engine is running and car moving.

The alternative is that it appears discharged after having been driven - this is more likely to be caused by a loose or corroded connection becoming detached due to vibration etc when the engine is running and car moving.

Doesn't apparently match the OP description re "Put a voltmeter on and you can see it dropping like a stone", assuming the voltmeter is being connected across the battery terminals.

Battery dies as soon as ignition is turned off - Manatee

If the voltage is dropping like that there's a short, surely? But why is it not present when the car is running, and why has it not blown the main fuse?

I wonder if the voltage is being measured at the actual lead battery post?