Any - Italian tuneups - kiss (keep it simple)

Most cars benefit from a good long fast run every now and then. My old 1.1 Fiesta would feel much more lively after a 500 mile thrash up to North Wales and back. But with many cars capable of over 150mph, how do you give them a good workout?

Any - Italian tuneups - RT

You don't need speed to give the engine a good work out - I recently had the pleasure of a road trip to Scotland - took the "Snow Roads" from Perth to Grantown-on-Spey through the Cairngorm Mountains, then the back roads from Inverness to Bettyhill - just put the transmission in Sport and thoroughly enjoyed myself - never once exceeding any speed limit.

I did then follow it up by driving from Dunnet Head to Lizard Point, via John O'Groats and Land's End but that was all with the cruise control set to the relevant speed limit.

Any - Italian tuneups - Heidfirst

But with many cars capable of over 150mph, how do you give them a good workout?

keep them in lower gears than top.

Any - Italian tuneups - Terry W

Are Italian tune ups a legacy of the days when engines were built to generous tolerances, oil was just slippery gloop, petrol additives limited only to lead.

An engine reaching 60k was good news, and a decoke every 10-20k was the norm.

Petrol and oil chemistry + combustion design + fuel injection now means that regular decokes are a thing of the past, and timely oil changes can extent the life of an engine to 250k+.

All that may be needed is an occasional long run (say 50 miles) if a car is otherwise used only for short journeys and never reaches full operating temperatures for a sustained period.

these days they often seem to be used for particulate filter regens in cars that generally only do short runs.

Any - Italian tuneups - Gibbo_Wirral

these days they often seem to be used for particulate filter regens in cars that generally only do short runs.

And don't work. Its the equivalent of expecting a quick 20 minute jog to reverse the years of damage caused by unhealthy eating and living

Any - Italian tuneups - Engineer Andy

But with many cars capable of over 150mph, how do you give them a good workout?

keep them in lower gears than top.

Don't you need to use the entire rev range in each gear, in order to avoid 'flat spots' on the acceleration curve?

Don't you need to use the entire rev range in each gear,

how do you use e.g. 0rpm (or idle rpm) in top? How do you hit max rpm in top on speed restricted roads?

You can however, hit max rpm in lower gears whilst staying below the speed limit ...

Any - Italian tuneups - Metropolis.
It is also about load, otherwise we could just sit in neutral and rev.
Any - Italian tuneups - kiss (keep it simple)
It is also about load, otherwise we could just sit in neutral and rev.

Exactly, certain parts must presumably need to get to a high enough temperature for a period of time to burn off various deposits.

Any - Italian tuneups - Engineer Andy

Don't you need to use the entire rev range in each gear,

how do you use e.g. 0rpm (or idle rpm) in top? How do you hit max rpm in top on speed restricted roads?

You can however, hit max rpm in lower gears whilst staying below the speed limit ...

No, I understand that (and do this), but what about the higher gears? Otherwise we may as well just thrash it 'safely' in 2nd. The problem, as you rightly say, is maxing it out it top gear means significantly breaking the speed limit and very well driving in a dangerous manner.

Rather an expensive exercise if getting fined or needing to go for a 'track day' or legally find an accommodating former airbase with its runway intact!

I do remember an episode of Fifth Gear when they were testing products that claimed to boost engine performance and efficiency, and the 1990s VW Corrado a 'flat spot' on its acceleration curve, but was mostly 'cured' and returned to near new performance by relatively cheap things, a decent fuel additive (and just running it normally for a week) being the most cost-effective.

Probably worth doing once or twice a year as well as the Italian tune-up for people who mostly do motoring in slow-speed, busy roads.

Any - Italian tuneups - Bolt

but what about the higher gears? Otherwise we may as well just thrash it 'safely' in 2nd.

that is exactly what an Italian tune up is, thrashing at high revs in first and second and hold for a while, that will do the job, no need to rev high in other gears, it brings temp up enough in the valves/head and piston crowns to burn off the carbon. job done.