VW Golf MK8 - ADAS recalibration required after wheel alignment? - VW_t83

Hello All,

I booked my year 2020 VW Golf MK8 in for two new front tyres and a full wheel alignment at my local tyre centre and they said that they were unable to carry out the wheel alignment as my car was an Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) equipped vehicle and they did not have the equipment capable of carrying out the ADAS recalibration following a wheel alignment. I was told that recalibration is required whenever there is a change in wheel alignment on an ADAS-equipped vehicle. This is because the system’s sensors must accurately calibrate to the new wheel alignment. There is no mention about this in my Golf's owner's manual.

Does anyone know if Volkswagen advise that ADAS recalibration should be performed after a wheel alignment? I would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced the same issue that I have had including on other makes of cars and I would be grateful for any advice.

Thank you.

VW Golf MK8 - ADAS recalibration required after wheel alignment? - elekie&a/c doctor
If you’re only getting the front alignment checked, then Adas calibration will not be required. A 4 wheel geometry check with adjustment to the rear wheels will need adas rechecked.

Good afternoon elekie&a/c doctor,

Thank you for your prompt reply and information. I can confirm that I will be having a full wheel alignment check carried out on all four wheels. I have been quoted £270.00 to carry out an ADAS recalibration following the wheel alignment.

I also posted this question on the technical forum at www.volkswagenforum.co.uk and an experienced staff member and administrator of the forum said that ADAS recalibration “Is recommended IF anything is done to the alignment”.

VW Golf MK8 - ADAS recalibration required after wheel alignment? - elekie&a/c doctor
Why does it need a full 4 wheel geometry check . Unless it’s had major accident damage with new suspension components, can’t really see the point . If you are happy to pay for it , then have it done.
VW Golf MK8 - ADAS recalibration required after wheel alignment? - Rerepo

Good afternoon elekie&a/c doctor,

Thank you for your prompt reply and information. I can confirm that I will be having a full wheel alignment check carried out on all four wheels. I have been quoted £270.00 to carry out an ADAS recalibration following the wheel alignment.

I also posted this question on the technical forum at www.volkswagenforum.co.uk and an experienced staff member and administrator of the forum said that ADAS recalibration “Is recommended IF anything is done to the alignment”.

To some extent you've been misinformed. Generally speaking ADAS recal is only needed if the thrust angle is changed. The thrust angle is half the difference between the rear toe angles, it should be zero, or nearly zero. If the thrust angle is non-zero (usually because one or both rear toe angles are wrong) then the vehicle will tend to crab along the road. This upsets the path prediction algorithm in the ADAS software. So the thrust angle should be set zero and then an ADAS calibration performed. What this means in practise is that if you have an alignment done and no adjustment is made to rear toe angle (i.e. thrust angle is already zero, or close to zero) then no ADAS cal is required. Incidentally the whole ADAS recalibration is set up to be a money spinner for dealers. It would be relatively simple to include self-calibration within the ADAS software since all the required parameters can be computed as the vehicle is being driven.

Good afternoon,

Firstly in reply to elekie&a/c doctor, I had my two front tyres replaced earlier this week due to there being excessive wear on the inside edge of the two front tyres indicating a possible alignment problem. I don’t think the tyre wear is to do with the inflation of the tyres as I ensure that I inflate the tyres according to the tyre pressure guide label on the car. (I inflate all four tyres to 36 PSI. The tyres are Michelin CrossClimate 2 205/55R16 94V XL). My car is nearly four years old and due to the excessive amount of potholes and speed bumps in my area and evidence of the two front tyres wearing unevenly I thought it would be an ideal time to have a full wheel alignment done.

Thank you to Rerepo for your very detailed and useful technical description of ADAS calibration, software and the effect of the thrust angle. As I mentioned in my earlier post I have been quoted £270.00 for an ADAS recalibration following a wheel alignment which I thought was quite expensive however I have had another reply on the technical forum at www.volkswagenforum.co.uk saying that my quote of £270.00 “Sounds very reasonable, the local chap here wants double that and the dealer even more”.

Thanks again elekie&a/c doctor and Rerepo for your excellent advice and information.

VW Golf MK8 - ADAS recalibration required after wheel alignment? - Rerepo

When the car was originally built the wheel alignment will have been set to factory specification and the ADAS calibrated to that.

If you have the wheel alignment reset to factory spec then the ADAS calibration as it is now should therefore be correct.

If you decide to have a wheel alignment and subsequent ADAS recal then keep the final alignment printout. If in future you need another alignment you can refer to the printout, set it to that spec and your ADAS cal will be correct. It will save you a lot of money.