Ford Fiesta - 12 year old Fiesta worth advisory work if selling? - Gamo

I'm looking to sell my 12 year old Fiesta. It passed its latest MOT with advisory work detailed:

Axle swivel pins and bushes swivel pin and/or bush slightly worn both Nearside and Offside Rear; Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing both Nearside and Offside Rear Inner; Central Rear (Exhaust heat shield loose).

Is it worth it to pay out for this if I am looking to sell (probably as an exchange from a dealer)? i.e. would I get more than I'd be paying out for this work if I got the work done?

The car is mostly in good shape although its service history is a bit patchy and there is some minor cosmetic damage internally from me transporting garden slabs which rubbed against the fabric despite having protection. There are also some scratch marks to the body work but not that significant. I haven't as yet looked into addressing this. Again I'd only be interested if I would get more than what it would cost to repair.

Many thanks for any advice.

Ford Fiesta - 12 year old Fiesta worth advisory work if selling? - catsdad

A dealer will only base their offer around the book price length of MoT and overall condition. Paying a garage to remedy the advisories would not result in a higher offer.

One problem with advisories is that there is a degree of subjectivity. A completely different set of advisories could be picked up by another tester. If you were keeping the car you would probably want to get the tyres changed and take advice on the other items. But if you are selling it’s not going to be worth it.

Ford Fiesta - 12 year old Fiesta worth advisory work if selling? - Gibbo_Wirral

Agree. I always like to get my advisories done straight after the MOT , but my previous cars have all been immaculate with an impeccable service history, so its always paid dividends when I came to sell as it showed a caring owner.

With yours I wouldn't bother.as the cosmetic issues will already set it back from any better models out there for sale. Although I'd maybe put on a better part worn tyre and fix the exhaust shield as they can be cheaply and easily remedied

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 10/05/2024 at 12:27

Ford Fiesta - 12 year old Fiesta worth advisory work if selling? - FoxyJukebox
If this car change was only about money -is not the cheapest way forward here to get the advisories done and keep the car rather than risking a poor price for the Fiesta and the financial uncertainty of whatever your next vehicle has hiding under its bonnet etc
Ford Fiesta - 12 year old Fiesta worth advisory work if selling? - Andrew-T
If this car change was only about money -is not the cheapest way forward here to get the advisories done and keep the car rather than risking a poor price for the Fiesta and the financial uncertainty of whatever your next vehicle has hiding under its bonnet etc

Agree. These days decent used cars can be easily sellable, while finding a better replacement may be tricky. If this Fiesta looks worth preserving, best to do that, as you can be more certain of the way forward - unless it is going to cost a lot to do.